taking the next step into producing.. Korg Triton?

dekodesigner

First of all, i'd like to say thanks to everybody on this forum for the great community.

Ok, I'm a UK Hip Hop emcee looking to take his next step into producing.

I have been playing with reason for a month or so, and recording vocals on a Tascam US-122 through cubasis, to my 3.2ghz Pentium 4 512mb ddr (soon to be 1gb) desktop.

I have been researching into samplers, synths, drum machines and sequencers all day long, as they seem to be the core of what I need to create good loops.

I have then realized that the Korg Triton seems to have all 4 and more rolled into one..

I will be sampling quite often, and I am slightly confused as to how i would sample on the Triton, would I load a sample to my pc, cut it up and then put it onto cd, into the triton, and assign each key to play a different part of the sample?

Any advice on how I would sample on the triton would be appreciated!

If you think i shouldn't go for the triton, what products would you recommend to sample, sequence, synth and drum with?

I would also like to plug live instruments into the Triton, and I read that this is possible with the 2 midi in and 6 midi out ports.

I want to be able to record each individual track onto cubase form the triton, using the synth, drums, and sampler.

To monitor, I have my eyes on some KRK RP5's - Would i be able to run the monitors through my tascam, and use a seperate powered usb hub for the triton, and be able to monitor my music through this set up?

Any help would be highly appreciated, as you can see I am at the point where I want to take my music a step further and help on the above issues would be appreciated.

dekodesigner.

dekodesigner said:
If you think i shouldn't go for the triton, what products would you recommend to sample, sequence, synth and drum with?
If I were you I'd turn my attention to the wonderful world of software. There are hugely powerful software samplers that can be had for a fraction of what you'd lay out for a Triton.

The same goes for soft synthesizers. Absynth, Rapture, Z3ta+, Reason, etc. will all cost less and be MUCH more powerful that a hardware system based around a single synth.

Ableton's Live is another fantastic program that does many things you just can't get in hardware anywhere at any price.

My advice is to find a friendly music store and go there -- if you can -- on a weekday afternoon when you can take your time and try to find a knowledegeable salesperson to explain what's out there...

Unless you're playing live or recording live, I would have to agree...softsynths and a nice keyboard controller. Find something with weighted keys.

I'm speaking for myself and I own a Triton 88. The vast array of sounds available for PC is way huge and often times easier to fiddle/tweak and otherwise adjust than working with the Triton as well. Don't get me wrong. I really like it...not planning to ditch it anytime soon but for solo recording work or if you're going to stack tracks the soft synth is faster and easier for me.

dekodesigner said:
First of all, i'd like to say thanks to everybody on this forum for the great community.

Ok, I'm a UK Hip Hop emcee looking to take his next step into producing.

I have been playing with reason for a month or so, and recording vocals on a Tascam US-122 through cubasis, to my 3.2ghz Pentium 4 512mb ddr (soon to be 1gb) desktop.

I have been researching into samplers, synths, drum machines and sequencers all day long, as they seem to be the core of what I need to create good loops.

I have then realized that the Korg Triton seems to have all 4 and more rolled into one..

I will be sampling quite often, and I am slightly confused as to how i would sample on the Triton, would I load a sample to my pc, cut it up and then put it onto cd, into the triton, and assign each key to play a different part of the sample?

Any advice on how I would sample on the triton would be appreciated!

I would also like to plug live instruments into the Triton, and I read that this is possible with the 2 midi in and 6 midi out ports.

I want to be able to record each individual track onto cubase form the triton, using the synth, drums, and sampler.

To monitor, I have my eyes on some KRK RP5's - Would i be able to run the monitors through my tascam, and use a seperate powered usb hub for the triton, and be able to monitor my music through this set up?

Any help would be highly appreciated, as you can see I am at the point where I want to take my music a step further and help on the above issues would be appreciated.

dekodesigner.
i agree with the other guys, u should go software. one question im having problems with my us-122 when i record audio it sounds scratchy.i tried in 3 diferent programs with the same results....can u tell me how u have it set up(i mean cables, speakers and drivers in your pc), thanks....

I am also having slight problems, i get a random drop out every 15-30 seconds.

I then purchased a USB hub (realised it was USB 1.0 after purchase as I was in a rush to grab one over easter).

I have now purchased a USB 2.0 and I am awaiting it being delivered.

I hope this will completely irradicate the glitch. Will let you know once it arrives.

This is due to PC voltage being too low for the USB connection. The USB hub has it's own seperate 5V power supply.

Regarding my situation, I have reason 3.0 and I love it, But I hate playing keys on the software.

Would I be able to buy a midi controller (m-audio oxygen) and be able to play sounds from the sound bank on the keyboard? from samples, to chords and drums.

For instance, assign each seperate .wav sound onto a midi keyboard/controller.

if not, how would i do this? and with what equipment?

Can you purchase books on how to use each part of each machine?

if so, does anybody know where i can get some?

By the way, The usb 2.0 hub solved my problem with dropouts on the us-122.

dekodesigner said:
Can you purchase books on how to use each part of each machine?
I assume you're talking about Reason, and there are many, many books at every level that provide lessons in how to use it. Go to a local bookstore and look in the music section. Make sure you buy one that deals with Reason 3.0 and get one that's not too advanced.

If you go the software route, be warned that it will end up costing at least as much as a triton, with all the different programs, expansions, controllers and goodies there are, it can be very expensive.
It is a good way to go, though, and it seems to be the wave of the future, but I still like my triton.
For sampling though, I always use the fantom. I think its way better than the triton for sampling, and you don't need an mpc or anything.

Yea I agree about software I just got my feet wet, I totally awe struck with the programs I have by Native but I still learning. I'll probably loop base myself once I figure out how to use Acid Pro and how to connect it to my old korg via midi for real time.

Back