Taking a snake apart

maddrummer

Is there anything wrong with taking a snake apart and using the cables individually. I know depending on size and all that it could be a big pain but is there anything else I should worry about? Thanks

Yeah, it dosnt make sense. Why would you take a snake apart? What do you mean, use the cables individually? Most snakes I have worked with are multicondoctor shielded wire running in a rubber jacket. If you took one apart, you would have a bunch of small wire.

If you look at the inside of the trunk of the snake cable you'll find that the groups are only wraped with foil shield. You can't take them apart and use them like that.

Track Rat said:
If you look at the inside of the trunk of the snake cable you'll find that the groups are only wraped with foil shield. You can't take them apart and use them like that.

And you know this how? Not mocking you, I just now have this image in my mind of you standing there with a "Oh GREAT!" look on your face after you tried it :p

hehehe

- Tanlith -

Snakes are not all constructed alike. The cheap hosa snakes have each wire individually shielded within the snake. They basically just took a bunch of their cheapy wire with molded ends and wrapped them in rubber tubing. I would think that this kind of snake would be okay to remove the tubing.

However, I have some Mogami snake that you really couldn't do that to. Although each wire is individual, they are so thin as to be practically unworkable outside the tubing. They would easily become a tangled mess of cable spaghetti and would probably not be sturdy enough to withstand even normal use. Most snakes would be like this.

Some snakes have each wire indiviually shielded within the snake, and some have shielding for the entire group only.

I personally think it's a bad idea to take apart a snake. You ruin the snake and will most likely get unusable cables anyway. better to just go out and spend the money on however many cables you need. Or, move your gear around so that you can use the snake. Likewise, if this is a thought of a way to try to save money, forget it, it will not work in most instances.

Just my opinion.

All my snakes are 8 mic lines inside a tube. I have taken one apart and used it with success.
I guess it depends on what you have.

maddrummer:

If you need to practice reptile dissection, might I offer my agent to you?

Paj
8^?

P.S.: You only have to return 85% of him.

Back