Taken Over - New Original for comments

Live42

This is an original that Ive had for a while, but never recorded. I only just realized that it would be much better suited to electric than acoustic guitar. This was the result. Thanks in advance for the comments!

UPDATED to version 2

Last edited:
I agree about the song being more suited for electric.

There's something off about your timing on singing at times. Additionally, some of your higher notes, are either not strong enough, or inappropriately weak. If you want your high notes to be soft, then it doesn't need to sound like you're straining. You can kind of tell you're at the top of your comfortable range at parts.

I really dig the sound of the electric.

As far as the song itself goes, it could use a little more dynamics. Make it epic :) There's no change in feeling from the beginning to the end.

I like the electric sound too, you might even be able to accent it a bit more with a nice sounding and longish plate reverb or something?

Also, the solo guitar definately needs some definition, it's gotta sound different to the rhythm. Even if it's just a bit more 2-3kHz to make it stand out.

Sounds overall like a good idea, but needs a bit more production going into it. An objective producer would be really useful here, dynamics absolutely an excellent point from MadH, each verse / chorus needs to rise and fall if not every time, then some time!!

Great points. It absolutely needs some more production to differentiate the verses from the chorus. I know the drums need some tweaking (which I suck at), but I don't think that alone will do it. I'll mess around till something sounds right. The vocal also could use a little tweaking. I may run through it again and comp something together.

Glad you guys like the electric sound, but I have to confess, I feel like a little bit of a fraud. In my "studio", I have a beautiful DIY hand-wired tube amp, that sounds absolutely incredible... and was also not used at all on this track. The sound you are hearing is guitar -> m-audio fast track -> garageband amp sims and effects. But hey... if it sounds good, who cares, right?

I recorded this last night, and I think its a classic case of the ears needing a break. I'll take another stab at it tonight or this weekend when I get time, and see if I can figure it out.

What would you guys do to make the choruses "pop" a little bit more?

Back