take off the phones and just play

zenpicker

This may be something everyone but me discovered long ago, but I will jot it down here anyway.

I find that it's very hard to get a headphone mix, while recording, that sounds similar to what you hear when you're just listening to yourself play in a non-recording situation. As intended, the mikes are more sensitive and are sensitive in different ways than our ears, so what you get through the phones is both more and less than what you're used to.

This can be very distracting, especially if you're the engineer as well as the musician. I find that I play a little more tentatively because every last string squeak is so pointedly amplified. So I lose some naturalness and even get a little tensed up.

The solution, duh, is to use the phones to get your levels and mike positions where you want them, then take them off for the actual recording. Then just play without the constraint of an artificial listening environment. I find this much easier, and the results much better.

Like I said, probably a stupid tip that's so obvious it's not worth mentioning, but you never know. It took me, at least, awhile to figure it out and convince myself it was OK. So, HTH.

I concur, I felt obligated to keep my phones on while tracking the first couple instruments. Now, I usually don't use them at all until it's time to add drums or something other than guitar bass. It's easier for me to hear how it actually sounds and count into the song and begin playing than it is for me to take the actual musical cue to begin playing.

If you wrote it, arranged it, practiced it, and if you always start playing at the beginning of the second bar after you hit record, wouldn't it be fair to say that you can keep up with yourself?

Whoops, guess I neglected to mention that I just record solo guitar - keeping in sync with other tracks in unnecessary.

Back