take a stand

gibs

guitar stand, that is......

laugh if you will, but I'm serious.....

there are guitar stands which hang the guitar by the headstock...I've also seen some wall model versions.....

my question is: will this, over time, screw up the neck, either set-neck or bolt........

it would seem to me that gravity would be constantly pulling the neck from the guitar body, if only minutely, but over time that could add up......and possibly damage the guitar/bass......

now that I have two extra instruments and they came with no cases, will it screw them up to let them hang on these new style stands or should I just get a couple of regular stands (leaning ones with bottom support)?

I keep everything else in their cases, except for a really old Silvertone, which is on a bottom supported stand....and I keep a foam sheet over it to keep dust and stuff away..........

any information/advice appreciated......gibs

I know nothing about force of gravity/to thread depth ratios or whatever technical slant you want to put on this, but it seems to me that any well constructed guitar would take about 50-100 years of constant neck hanging to affect anything noticeably.

I'd be interested to hear more qualified views on this though...

pAp.

All the vintage shops I have gone to have the $15,000 Strats and $30,000 Les Pauls hanging by the necks, so it can't be too bad for them, I guess. I think the bigger issue is having a padding materiel that won't harm the finish on the neck of your guitar. That rubbery stuff will just eat up nitro. It did it to one of my Strats.

H2H

Haven't you ever noticed that when Pete Townshend smashed his guitars to the ground that they almost never broke where the neck meets the body of the guitar?
The body would always splinter apart first.
If it ever did, it was after a dozen or so "slams".

Hangin' em by the neck is no problem at all.

Hang 'em high! :D

Thanks for the replies.....I feel better about getting some hanging stands now....there's one I saw that has padding made of a fairly hard foam, black.......and another that has much softer rubbery stuff, also black....guess I'll go with the former for the sake of the finishes.....

maybe one day some of the Townsend wrecks will appear on ebay (reserves would probably be 4 figures!).....but the necks would still be good, lol............gibs:D

The problem for me is that I've never sold a guitar; I still have my first few that are almost unplayable and they cost money to maintain. I'm nearly in double figures for the number of guitars I own (I know some of you have a lot more; but I'm only young (ish)).

So anyway I still buy strings for these old guitars and smash 'em about a bit but there just isn't any room, there's no point selling them and I don't know anyone learning who would be able to use them so they just take up space.

So to the post. I have 6 stands (bottom support) and now have more guitars and I don't have the space so I went to buy some wall hangers. These things can get really expensive and were talking at least £100 ($150 approx) to hang these guitars from the wall. You can spend up to £30 each ($45) though.

I can't see any reason for them getting fucked up. make sure there on a strong secure wall (obvoius) and away from heating appliances.

I have a link somewhere to a site where it shows you how to make your own but I guess if you attribute any worth to your guitars you'll pay for the real thing.

Look on the bright side; you'll save some space and you won't have people running into them or kicking them by accident (or purpose).

I hear ya, Krystof01.......

although I sold a couple back in the '70's (which I regret) I still have that old silvertone learner......the action was so high (and the wooden bridge so weird) I only mess with it for slide, and rarely even then......it would take up less space on the wall, that's for sure.......gibs

Gibs; Exactly the same with the action on my first. Like you I also use it for slide as it well suited. Kinda ironic isn't it? You get your first guitar 'cus you want to learn how to play and the guitars are almost unusable so you can't play anyway.

That guitar also has a wierd looking neck now. When I learned how to adjust and strip a guitar it was the obvious one to experiment/learn/practise on. I must have turned that truss rod so many times in both directions to see what would happen; now I know.

Good wall hangers are about twelve bucks apiece here in the US. They will not harm your guitars. Your drunken friends can't accidentally trip over them and knock them over :D. And, also, nothing looks so cool as "a wall of guitars".

BTW-

It's still the best for your guitars to keep them in a case when you're not using them. It helps prevent thhose little dings that magically appear, and, especially with acoustics, help prevent changed due to temperature/humidity.

I also look at this way...if a tornado/hurricane/earthquake/flood hit my house, would my guitar be safer in the case or out by itself? Just the pessimist in me thinking, I guess.

H2H

Hi again,
I just bought 10 wall hangers today for £4 each ($6). They were on sale and because I bought a bass guitar and 10 off them (hangers) I got a good deal in my opionion.

That is as long as they were not on sale because they were faulty.

Bread & water under the door for you!!

I just ordered 4 hangers today from Musician's Friend, $9.99 each. My 2 yr old son came at the Strat Plus w/ screwdriver so I locked him in the closet. I'll let him out when they come in next week.

Back