Takamine

CMiller

So I was dropping off a CD to a drummer in a music store today and while I was waiting I was playing around with a lower end Takamine and was extremely pleased with the sound. I remember Takamines as being bright sounding, and this one was no different, but I was surprised at how good this cheap guitar sounded. They were selling it for $200 or something like that. I'm not sure if it was a full Takamine, or the Jasmine line, but I was impressed. Anyone out there have more experience with Takamine? I might have to go get me one.

I should say that I played two Takamine guitars today. The first one was extremely light (and less expensive) I take that to mean that it was made from low grade materials. It probably had less sustain as a result, but the second one sounded gorgeous.

Can only speak for the higher end Takamine. Have owned an FP360SC for 7 years and find it an outstanding guitar. Sounds beautiful (and bright, as they are known), plays like a well built and properly set-up electric.

I've had a Takamine Jasmine for 4 years or so and I've been satisfied with it. It's got a great sound for the price, there's no doubt. I have the acoustic electric with the cutaway and I've probably spent more time playing it than any other guitar. It was bought for me as a present and I don't think I would have made the same choice if I had been there picking it out. Of course both myself and the person buying me the guitar would have had a good laugh after I picked out the acoustic I REALLY wanted though, so again...the most impressive thing is the sound that you get for such a reasonable price.

One thing...I've had to replace two of the tuners and the rest of them are struggling so that's something to consider. I don't know how long the average high quality tuner is supposed to last but these seem pretty shoddy. Also, when I first got it , it had a dead fret on the high E string up around the 12th fret, but Takamine took care of it for free and they were easy to deal with.

Anyway, if you can swing it, do like hixmix said and save up for a real beauty. But if you you're just looking for a guitar to drag around that has a decent sound, they are definitely a good choice for that price range.

Eagles like them too!!

CMiller,

How are ya?

Get Hell Freezes Over DVD.

The Eagles use all Takamines on that, sounds fantastic!!

Gritzy-

If you like the guitar, why not spring for a set of Grovers? I replaced the Klusons on my Gibson around 1977 or so, and they're still going strong. They should outlast the guitar.

-------------
The way things are going, they'll outlast ME, too...:D

I have a takamine FP350SMC, middle upper end taki, but far from the most expensive ones they make. I almost bought a Sante Fe ages ago, but opted for a guild instead.

I do like it for certain things over and above my guild or other acoustics of that design.

What I like it most for is recording direct. I've never been thrilled with the acoustic sound of taki's, but direct they are hard to beat. The electronics are quite nice in them(model depending).

Another thing I like using the taki for is anything complicated. I find the guild very difficult to play fast runs on, whereas the taki is close to playing an electric as far as ease of play goes.

If those features are of any use to you, then pick one up!

Actually Emeric, the feel of the neck would be important to me. Years ago I bought a Kramer Ferrington (I'll pause here until everyone finishes laughing) because it was essentially an electric bolt-on neck. Its tough to get my porky little mitts around a chunky neck.

Back