Tail Out?

James K

I've been wondering lately whether or not I should start storing my tapes tail-out. It more hassle than storing them tail-in so I was wondering if it was worth it. How pronounced is the print through and over what time scale does it occur?

Thanks

Print through is dependent on several factors.

The type of tape being used, back coated being more resistive then non back coated.

The levels and use of noise reduction. Hot levels leaking more then compressed even levels printed via use of dbx noise reduction.

The time part, I'm not sure about but I'd assume the longer the tape is stored, the more the magnetic leaching can occur from one level through to the next.

So if you use back coated tape with dbx noise reduction and record at moderate levels, it's probably not going to be a major issue. If you don't do any of that, it probably will.

Cheers! :)

i've been asking a related question for a while on different forums. And an ex-BASF employee nicknamed Wilhelm came back with the best explanation of why you need to store it tails out.:

Storing tape tails out is done for two reasons. First, that means that the tape was played through and wound at play speeds to allow even tension and uniformity through the pack. Second, it means that whatever print effects occur in storage, some will begin to be erased once the tape is rewound to the beginning again.

So tails out is not only FF'ing to the end. Get there with play speeds or spool speed if your deck supports it.

A couple other reasons we store tails out...

1) The print-through on a tape stored heads-out is more noticeable because it presents as pre-delay. With tails-out its less noticeable as a natural echo.

2) Its best to fast wind a stored tape before use. Storing tails-out makes this necessary, but easy. Simply pop the reel on the right side and rewind. In fact its best to fast wind a new tape, so start with a new reel of tape face down on the right hub, then rewind the tape to an empty reel. After rewind once the new reel is empty, turn it label side up before recording.

And that is correct that the way to get to tails-out is at spool or play speeds, for a nice even pack.

I used to always store tail out, one reason was at the end of a session I would slow spool forward to pack the tape on the reel tight for storage. Then when I reloaded the tape in the future I would slow spool it back to the start so that the tape was run through the guides before we started.

alan.

So why is it good for the tape to be wound before use? Is this to loosen it up or something like that? Unfortunately my deck (tascam ms16) doesn't have a spool function so it would have to be fast wound.

I could be mistaken, and I don't have the manual open, but...

I read that the MS-16 has a "hidden" spool feature that's triggered by hitting the Play button twice in quick succession.
:spank::eek:;)

El Otra Cosa,...

I think it's beneficial to wind the tape out (or back) before use to:
~ ensure a nice, even tape pack with uniform tape tension throughout the reel and no adhesion that can happen to reels from being stored a long time. This assures smooth running on the first pass.
~ dislodge any loose or marginal oxide particles on the surface of the tape.

Rewinding will cancel part of the preecho (print through), that is the reason. The MS16 has spool mode. Press FF or RW twice and it will enter spool mode

Okay, I'll give tail out a go. What exactly does spool do? Does it just run the tape at play speed with the lifters up? I've always just rewound it so it ends up flapping about like crazy when it gets to the end of the reel.

I'm getting the machine serviced by Clive Kavan soon so I want to make sure I'm doing everything optimally. I'm a bit terrified about the condition of the heads though :/

spool winds the tape @80ips. Full wind speed is ~350ips. Play speed for the MS16 is 15 or 30ips of course depending on your machine.

Back