Sytek Pres VS Midas Venice Pres

JasonB93117

I am looking at the Sytek 4 channel pre with burr brown mod and the Midas Venice series mixers.

* Does anyone have experience with both preamps?

* Please share your ideas on the differences and similarities of the preamps in the Midas Venice mixer and the stand-alone Sytek pres.

Thank you for your time and have a happy holiday. -Jason

I dont know about the Venice pres or how it is set up but the sytek is a pretty good preamp. Just remember that the stytek is balanced out with just xlrs for outputs and you will need to spend about 100.00 bucks for cords for it unless you build your own.

One more vote that the Sytek is pretty decent pre. Haven't tried the other unit you were talking about though.

The Sytek is a very cost effective pre that still sounds great. The Venice however also sounds very good. Consider though that the venice is not a "studio" console meaning that it does not have inline channels or tape returns. If you can live with the limitations that the Venice has, it will be a wonderful little desk. It sounds WAY better than all the other consoles that are in it's price range and hold's its own against consoles that cost much much more. The Sytek is a nice clean transparent sound, and the Burr Brown channels have a slightly different sound to them. Maybe just a little warmer, but still pretty clean. The Midas is also a pretty sound though. The preamps are a little more "aggressive" sounding than the Sytek. The strong point on the venice though is the sound of it's EQ. The venice does a lot of really nice harmonic stuff that I really enjoy. I actually considered dropping a pair of them in my studio, and even considered a larger Midas for a while. I really can't say that one sounds any better than the other, they are each a little different. what I can say is that they are both built really well, will last a long time, and I don't think you would ever really outgrow either one. I am still considering adding a small Venice just for preamps and eq and treating it as outboard instead of as a console since I just bought a really nice large format console. In the end, if you need or want more than 4 channels, I actually think that the Venice would be more valuable up front. It really depends on what you already have and what your future plans are.

The biggest thing to remember is that if you get the Venice, it is more limited as far as routing and inputs than your traditional studio format consoles. It isn't that complicated to work around those things, but it's important to be aware and give it thought before you buy. The only reason I can see regretting purchasing a Venice is if it really changes and affects your workflow in a way that disturbs you.

Either one is a winner when it comes to pure sound quality though:) Midas also makes a 2 channel preamp/EQ (XL42) that is literally straight from an XL4 if you really wanted a more conventional rackmount setup. The preamp on the XL42 is very similar to that of the Venice, but the EQ hass all the options you could ever wish the Venice had:) Then again, you can only get 6 channels of XL42 (3 units) for the price of about 24 channels of venice.

Thanks

Thank you guys for the information you have provided, it has made me think about my decision in some different ways. I'm still wondering how much the flexibility of the Venice would benefit me compared to just running rackmount preamps straight to DAW through converters.

*One question/statement that I would like to have more info on : I've read about the routing limitations of the Venice on this thread and on others but I am still unclear on the matter. What specifically is the Venice lacking that most every other "recording console" would have, and how specifically could this lack of feature disrupt workflow, or be a problem? I'm just trying to think ahead so I don't get a mixer that has good preamps but becomes too annoying to work with as my setup grows.

*Could you elaborate on "inline channels" and why this could be a potential problem?

*When the websites giving information on the Venice mention "Stereo-Tape-Return (Line) 1 left/right" ...Is this different from the tape return that you were speaking of xstatic?

*Any other limitations of the Venice that I should be aware of, particularly when compared to something along the lines of a Soundcraft Ghost?

If anyone else has any thoughts on the subject please don't be shy, and thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts so far. - Jason

There are two common types of studio console layouts. Inline and Split. Inline means that each channels strip actually has two inouts that can be used simultaneously. One input typically controls the gain of your mic and sends the signal out either a buss output or a direct output to your tape machine (or wahtever you use to reocrd with DAW, analog, MDM etc...). The other inout typically has whats considered a tape return. This would take signal back from your recorder into that same channel and is typically what you use to monitor that signal. This way you can EQ it, change levels etc... without affecting what is going to tape. A split console usually has completely seperate channels for returns. This usually ends up making the console much larger and heavier. If you are recording straight into a DAW and using the DAW for all playback through the stereo ouputs of your DAW, than neither inline or split consoles are really a necessity. AS recently as 5 years ago even latencies and routing with DAW's were so primitive that you almost always had to have a split or inline console just to monitor your tracks. On a regular console it would take 32 channels to record 16 tracks, and be able to simultaneously play them back with different settings where the playback channels would not affect what was actually being recorded.

The stereo tape return is not the tape return I was referring to. A stereo tape return is meant to receive a 2 channel (stereo signal) and route it to various output sections of the console. Typically a CD or a DAT or any other kind of two track. It is similar in principle, but a studio console will normally have at least 16 tape returns, or in the inline format, 1 tape return per channel.

What the Venice is a little short on...
The venice is only a 4 buss console. Most studio consoles (including the Mackie and the Ghost) have 8 or more. My console has 24, but for most "home recordists" that is far more than necessary. The venice has a phantom power switch per channel, but they are located on the back. This is purely an inconvenience, but there is a light on the front of each channel to tell you when phantom power is on. Once you get used to where the switch is located, it isn't so bad. I have gotten to where I can just reach over the console and turn them on without even having to see behind it. The venice also does not have a pad. The preamp covers such a wide range though that there has never been an occasion for me (over 500 uses) in which a pad has been absolutely necessary. The venice also does not have a phase reverse button. With current DAWS this is not as big an issue as you can reverse the phase of a track inside the DAW. When double micing a source and running tracks to tape though, that option can be critical. If a person wanted though, there are pretty affordable phase reverse adapters available that you can just plug right into the mic cable and reverse it before it even gets to the console. The last thing I can think of is that the venice only has 60mm faders instead of 100mm faders. It just means that the fader path is only 60% as long as a standard fader (this is a feature that allows manufactureres to make consoles smaller and lighter). Once again, not a huge deal.

The Soundcraft Ghost is a solid little console that sounds pretty decent. It offers all of the features that the Venice comes up short in. However, the Venice, in my opinion, has a MUCH better preamp and EQ section than the Ghost has. So really, it comes down to what is more important in your workflow. Is sound quality more important than repatching or layout? I almost always choose sound quality first. This is not to say though that great stuff can't be done on a ghost. I just think that the same things can be done better on a Midas, if it logistically works for you.

Hope that helps:)

Thanks for all the information xstatic, you've been very helpful. The Venice still looks very appealing to me even with its shortcomings although I still have some routing logistics to figure out. Hope you guys are all having a great holiday. - Jason

Back