system noise/preamp noise?

tremblayj

So I am not even sure if this is the correct board to put this thread so if it needs to be moved just let me know.

My problem is that I just got a new firestudio project and when i arm the track to record it shows about -42 on the meter and thats without the preamp even being turned up at all (and no phantom power for the condenser thats on the channel). Even when I do turn up the preamp it doesn;t change anything and the noise is quite audible. I don;t remember what the noise floor was on my old set up (which didn;t get used much) but I know I couldn;t hear that much noise before I even turned anything up.

so I am just wondering what are some things that could be causing this or what should I look for in the way of troubleshooting?

My setup is basically a firestudio project with bx5a deluxe monitors using a PC running Reaper software.

any help would be greatly appreciated as I just want to start recording.

Computer fans and hard drive, for one.
Having the phantom power turned off is another.
It really doesn't matter about the noise if you don't have the Preamp and Phantom Power turned on.
Also, Some preamps generate a lot of noise when set below 1/3rd or above 2/3rds.
Try working with the PAD on.
Check your cables.

thanks for the response. I was able to rule out most of them but the one thing i figured it wouldn't was the cables (so simple) and sure enough..
my next question is how does a bad mic cable introduce so much noise to a channel when the volume is completely off? I don;t really require an answer to that as i will probably find the answer with a little research.
anyways just wanted to say thanks getting my mind think of the simple things, ha.

ya seems it was. just changed to a different mic cable and it was fine. the first one was brand new out of the package but i guess i just got a bad one.
silence now is down below -70dbs which works for me.

I have a Firebox, there was a slight noise floor between the studio gear and the firebox being caused by an earth loop on the firewire cable, this can also happen on USB cable as I also have a USB interface that suffers the same problem only worse. This is what could be causing your problem.

I fixed it and got the noise floor down to almost 0 by putting one of these on the line inputs and another on the line outputs of the Firebox.

Cheers
Alan.

when you say you got the noise floor down to 0 what exactly did you get it down to? I am just curious as to what is attainable with this unit.

thanks

when you say you got the noise floor down to 0 what exactly did you get it down to? I am just curious as to what is attainable with this unit.

thanks

As 0 is not really obtainable, what i meant to say is that where by the meters before had noise showing with no signal present, and when I turned up the monitors I could hear a digital wine (due to an earth loop via the firewire cable) and a little hiss, after I put the isolation units inline the noise on the meters virtually disappeared, the digital wine disappeared, and the hiss was reduced to the point that it would never be a problem because as soon as a signal was present it was gone. I.E the singer breathing between words was louder than the hiss.

Remember all gear has some noise, what we need is the noise is low enough to not be an issue.

Cheers
Alan.

Remember all gear has some noise, what we need is the noise is low enough to not be an issue.
I've been getting tired of my ribbons for that very reason.
Even the active ribbons seem to have a pretty high noise floor.
How much would I have to pay for a fairly quiet, Large diaphragm Condenser?

Back