system configuration conflicts

sharkbass

I have a question regarding setting up disk cache (vcache). I visit sites and some say to set these numbers low and matching (min and max in config.sys), some say set the min and max different and some say no lower than 1/4 your memory.
I'm only concerned because I'm starting to get a lot of tracks running at once in Samplitude and am worried about drop outs etc.
I've got 512 mB RAM running on a PIII 500 and Win ME and all seems well but I am trying to find my limits.
Any idea anyone?

I tried it a long time ago with a P133, and it helped a lot. I set the min & max to be the same. This prevents windows from resizing the swap file, which can suck if you're trying to record an audio stream (skip, stutter, choke, gag). I was able to get 4 more reliable tracks that way.

The thing is, when you reach your limit, the disk probably won't be the bottleneck unless you're not using effects and you're trying to record a zillion tracks. I think your system should be able to handle anything reasonable that you throw at it (assuming you've got a 7200 RPM drive).

Back