system backup problems

eclips1

Hello,
I'm trying to figure out the best way to back up my audio.
I'm curently running protools on a G4. I have approx 70 gigs recorded on my internal drive. Yesterday I bought a lacie firewire drive, and an external DVD firewire drive so I can back up to both.

My problem is some files won't copy from certain protools sessions. I get 1 of 2 error messages.

1 says the file name is too long to be copied(example: "Mastering[song name yada yada yada L.") So if I drag a group of sessions, or just 1 specific session and it gets to this specific audio file it gives the error message and quits copying.

2 says this file already exists. I don't know if this is because I drag say 10 protools sessions to be copied and in session 1 there's a file named "drumkick" but then it gets to session 5, and theres a file named "drumkick" also? Like error #1, when this error message comes up it stops copying.

I'm really confused and any feedback help would be appreciated. Thanks

I am not a Mac guy, but the first thought that came to mind was to...
(a) Compress/Zip the files in each ProTools compilation to a folder with a unique file name on the firewire drive then...
(b) Copy the compressed folder to the DVD.

If you were in the DOS (Windows) environment (and sufficently handy) you could do this transparently with a batch file.

Back