Synthesizing an 'electric guitar'ish kind of sound?

technominds

I just invested in a Nord Stage EX.. ( which by the way is a BEAST).. but i was wondering if any of you guys have ever re-created an electric guitar sound using a synthesizer.

The nord has a pretty decent on-board synth, but I was wondering what kind of waveforms people use and any other presets on synths to create a decent(ish) sounding electric guitar sound.

I'm not looking for anything specific to nord, just general techniques or links to put me in the right direction.

Before you attack me, I KNOW I won't get anything sounding like a real guitar and I do play guitar, this is simply an exercise!

-TM

I once, as a "real" guitarist,landed a gig with an 80's/synth band, because they could not find a synth that produced convincing guitar sounds. The gig sucked- it's really no fun being the sole guitaris with a bunch of guys who basically have you there just because they could not find a way to eliminate you, and you only got to really play on about 20% (at best) of the songs) but hey, it paid real money.

Anyway, more than a decade has passed, but I don't think you will have much sucess- it seems like synthesizing things like the tone of guitar pickups, pup placements, type (single coil, humbucker, others), amp type, speaker cab type, and even deeper subtilties of things like pick techniques, strumming speed, can not be synthed convinceing. Even if they could, a guitarist varies things like pick technique, strum speed, palm damping, location on the fret board where he stops the strings, string/fret he uses to produce what is musicially, but not tonaly, the same note, bends, pull-off's hammer-ons, etc. etc. etc. within the same song that even if someone could build and program a snyth to reproduce all those things, it would be a full-time proposition just to learn how to access all that stuff, on-the-fly. I imagine that the people who are willing to take all the time to learn how to do all those things are already... guitarist. They have zero interest learning how to do it with a couple of keyboards and bank of buttons- and synth players have better things to do with their time, too- like playing music. Thus, I think that even if someone did develop such a synth, nobody would buy or play it.

JMHO.

I kind of expected a response like this.

I'm not looking for something with a millionth of the expression and tonality, just a lead/solo sound made with synth only.

I also think that your presumption that no-one would buy software that could recreate the guitar sound for keys plays is way off. Companies have been taking stabs at it for years and when they do, I can almost guarantee audio programmers will love it up.

Anyway, as I said.. this is an exercise; i'm not trying to prove anything about either instruments.. it's simply something I would like to achieve.

I'm no keyboard player, but I've seen a very convincing demo of the East-West software on you tube. I don't have the link, but just type in East-West. The choral synth is awesome and the guitar one rocks if you know how to play it.

I think you misunderstood my intent. I did not intend to come across as a guitarist/snob, nor am I a synth hater. I enjoy listening to synth music, and even own a couple of those spawn of the Devil things, (just kidding!) myself.

Although I DO think synthetic music has it's limits. Certainly, producing a computer that would 1. Take about as much room as a guitar and/or amp, 2. Either take LOADS of programming time or be only an approximation of a guitarist playing a real guitar, and 3. might sound something like a guitarist playing a real guitar, would have very limited appeal on the open market and would be a BEAR to figure out how to play, is way past that line. Again, why spend the money, time and trouble to get there, when there are plenty of good guitarist who have spent a lifetime learning all the subtilties and intricaties of their instrument (and there are tens of thousands, perhaps millions, of different combinations) who would be happy to provide you the sound you seek? You could either spend a mint buying such a synth, then your own lifetime learning it, or you could simply hire a good session guitarist and be done with it.

And even if you are only interested in a relatively simple program, your time would be better spent (both from a time-spent perspective and a good-sounding results one) just learning how to play the solo you want ON A FREAKING GUITAR. Even for single notes, things as arcane and subtle as the kind of wood the fret board is made of have an effect on the tone (this because a guitarist stops the strings between his fingers and the fret board.) NO one is EVER going to mistake your synth playing for guitar.

My post is not about snobbery, or even perserving jobs for guitarist. It is about the most cost- and time-efficient way to get where you want to go. And the reasons true guitar sound from a synth will probably never happen apply to ALL other mature, "natural" instruments. After decades of development, even the best piano synth is no match for a middle-of-the-road acoustic piano; the best orchaestral synth is no match for a real orcestra. They may come close, but there are leigons of listeners who can spot a fake within two bars.

Would a supposed "real guitar synth" sell? Oh, sure, it would at first, to a few loaded (perhaps in more ways than one!) early adopters. But after a short while, the new would wear off and everyone would see that, 'tis true, the Emperor has no clothes. Guitarist are not immune to this- hybrid amps (with a tube pre-amp and a solid state power amp) were once "the buzz" among us- now we realize we were pretty much duped. Geech, if it can't fly with just ONE of the gad-zillions of factors, how the heck do you think there is enough time between now and the end of the universe to sort ALL of them out?

Really, I am not trying to "attack" you- just trying to be realistic. Have fun with your project, but surely you didn't expect to post such a thing and not have someone nail you?

EDIT: If your project is to see what you can do with synths ONLY, I can understand and respect that- such a goal has merit, insofar as it could help you develop your chops. But if, say, your drums are even electronic drums, played by a human drummer, I don't see the point in trying to "synth" the guitar.

Last edited:
Well synthesizing electric guitar sound is probably impossible with what you have got... Sampled stuff works better (If you want to invest 400$ just for guitar sound).

Anyway if I got you right, you just want a solo sound... Why dont you instead use a keyboard solo sound like the Jens lead or something? It sounds great and its a "real" synth sound :P.

Here is how to make one (roughtly)

Use 2 pulse oscillators @around 30 widith
set the LFO to wary the pitch by around 2 cents (sine type) very slow rate / OR use pulse widith modulation assigned to LFO
Use LPF to filter highs out add some resonance. assign velocity to control the filter by some

Use 3rd and 4th saw oscillator and detune one by -4
use LPF to again filter the highs, add some resonance.

-use chorus / distortion / delayverb.

If you have to have electric guitar sound then use this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGJ8y67SU8

If you think about it, a Clavinet is a 60 string guitar with pickups in it. I've used a clavinet with a Boss CS-1 compression/sustain for a Santana style lead before.

Another idea is that the general midi patches include some guitar-like sounds - try one of these through a compression/sustain, a distortion pedal or Pod / emulator box.

You may not come as close as you like, but the Roland XV-5050 synth has some fairly good chunky guitar sounds (and they have COSM modelling in the box). These go second-hand on Evilbay for under $400. The patches for guitar are all stock presets.

The other aspect is to play what a guitarist would play - so fifths and fourths and string bending (pitch bending) by a tone or so, and phrasing articulations all help create the illusion.

I've done a sort of power-chords effect using Lounge Lizard EP-1 (electric piano softsynth) and massive distortion.

Here's an example (ogg format unfortunately, use winamp etc):
http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/music/jag_gtr2.ogg

These days I use a massively-overdriven clavinet patch on a Korg Triton, since I've had no end of trouble with softsynths...

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, the trick is to use a huge amount of overdrive and play just the right chords. When it comes to music theory I'm hopeless so I couldn't tell you the structure of the chord unfortunately, but I might be able to get back to you on that.

Of course,

there are dozens and dozens of different types of guitar sounds, from acoustic to electric, clean, phased, distorted, and varied gradations of levels.

Now...............,

I have a Novation Supernova II which is virtual analog. On it is an awesome and convincing program of a rancid B3 organ with modulation on various paramenters.

Turns out that when I apply a fair amount of DISTORTION to this organ patch, it is amazingly similar to distortion electric guitar. All my friends love this patch.

The trick is to play it properly. If you play it like a keyboard organ patch, you would not immediately think guitar. But if you execute it tastefully, you would be impressed. Hitting a diad (2 note chord), in the mid-range, then doing a pitch bend down to as much as an octave (or less) is like a riff from "Ball Room Blitz" where the guitar power chord is struck, then then whammy bar is applied to pitch bend down.

Don't play lots of 3-note chords. Do single note runs and 2-noters, to get the lead runs and great sounds. Of course, you can play a 3-note chord sometimes.... when it sounds good, do it.

So, try a full open drawbars, B3 organ sound, and then add distortion.

Just to add to that last post:

If you are playing two note chords, they should be root-fifth, not root-third.

One of the biggest give-aways that someone is playing a keyboard instead of a guitar is the order of the notes in a chord. A keyboard would give you root-third-fifth. A guitar will give you root-fifth-octave-third, etc... for most chords.

It's like with any other instrument you are trying to mimick on a keyboard, you have to play it like you would on the actual instrument.

right on

Just to add to that last post:

If you are playing two note chords, they should be root-fifth, not root-third.

One of the biggest give-aways that someone is playing a keyboard instead of a guitar is the order of the notes in a chord. A keyboard would give you root-third-fifth. A guitar will give you root-fifth-octave-third, etc... for most chords.

It's like with any other instrument you are trying to mimick on a keyboard, you have to play it like you would on the actual instrument.

Correct. I had thought of editing that post of mine to include this comment to avoid a the mistake of playing a root and 3rd.

Well of course ANYTHING with very high levels of distortion sounds very much the same... so it is easier to emulate highly distorted guitar

Anyway electric guitar without FX is almost impossible without the use of samples I do say.

Also the XV-5050 patches of E guitar simply put suck, I have sonic cell and the COSM FX suck balls too... very bad sounding (even though other FX are useable). yea I could sample better e guitar with my cheap les paul... What was roland thinking when making them is a good question, acualy all the acustic instruments are pretty bad(INCLDUING THE PIANO), cause there are not even close enough velocity layers. Synth stuff is the best for rompler though.

thats for the offtopic.

Back