synth keeps playing a G behind every note

karambos2

I just bought a second hand MFB Synth Lite.

I attached my Oxygen 8 to it and no matter what note I play or how I set the filters, the synth plays a background "G". That's the note of G below middle C. Hence playing any G or any C anywhere on the keyboard sounds fine but play a note that's not a direct harmonic of G and the resonance is astounding.

I think it might be a ground loop. I'm in Germany and the mains run 220 volts here and I read somewhere that this means the ground loop "plays" at 50 Hz. I'm not sure about that so don't quote me. Anyhow, I tried plugging the synth into a plug socket on it's own and got the same result. BUT it turns out, all the plugs in my studio run through the same one fuse in the fusebox.

I don't know if that could be the culprit. Does anyone have any idea? Could it be that the synth itself is broken?

Here is one link from a not so happy customer that might have some information for the more technically savvy amongst us.

As always, I'm grateful for any help.

It is unlikely an electrical ground loop. The devices are not linked in anyways through the mains only via MIDI, right? If there is a ground loop within your electrical circuit elsewhere (either through wrong phase connections, etc.), you need to unplug everything, shut off the power and call an electrician, because your earth-ground may be comprimised (If such a loop did exist you would hear it in just about anything you plugged into that outlet).

Seems likely that this is an internal problem. I read the article, and it seems as though some obvious corners were cut in the design and manufacturing of this synth, as well as some blatant misrepresentation. I fear you have bought a lemon my friend. I would suggest you contact the manufacturer, as they might shed more light on the situation.

One other possibility is that the Oxygen 8 is malfunctioning. Have you tried using the Oxygen 8 to run other synths? If you haven't I suggest you do, in order to eliminate the possibility of it being the Oxygen 8. Not just soft-synths though USB, try actual hardware units with the same MIDI out port you have been using. Good Luck!!!

I am so stupid - please kick me

Wrong adapter. I was using an AC adapter at 6 volts when I needed a DC adapter at 10 volts. Once I had changed to the correct adapter, the humming went away.

Bend over!!! KICK!!!

Sometimes the obvious conclusion (The one right in front of us), is the last thing we check.

Glad it all worked out for you. How does it sound? Good I hope.

Seen worse. A computer technician had been trying to figure out (for like HOURS) why a pc monitor wouldn't work till she understood it was not plugged in........ ;)

Back