Synth 101?

Maybe this isn't exactly where it belongs, but I'll throw it out here anyway.

Over the past few years I've gotten to play with various synthesizers (both hardware and software), but I was really not doing much more than just that....playing with it. I would flip switches and turn knobs with no real idea of what any of it did, much less any idea of how to achieve a sound I heard in my head. Does anyone know if there is any type of Synth 101 online tutorial, or class, or school or anything like that? I would really like to have the knowledge to unleash the power that is in these things, but I feel like I'm never going to get anywhere unless I have some basic understanding of certain concepts.

Any ideas?

Back in the late 70's and early 80's there were some good books that explained the various components of analog synths - and how to use them to shape sounds.

When I get home tonight I'll look in my library to see what titles/authors I found helpful (however, I have no idea if these are still in print - although places like Half Priced Books - or whatever used book stores you have access to may help).

Candidly, while some of these books helped me understand how VCOs and filters shaped sound, I learned more by simply "palying" with synths.

There are various 80s era analog synths that can be found in the $300 and under range - if you can buy a couple and spend plenty of time shaping sounds. Just keep in mind each synth uses differnent technology, so an old Korg will react a little different than a Roland vs. the additive structure of Yamaha.

Thanks mikeh, that would be really helpful! I've got access to a crapload of used book stores down here (4 different Half Price locations and lots of other local shops), so I should be able to find pretty much anything that isn't really rare.

I looked thru my library and found four books that I thought were pretty good as Synth 101 - These are listed in order of my preference:

Synthesizer Basics - Publisher: Hal Leonard Publishing (Author: Editors of Keyboard Magazine) 1984
This is by far the best and really explains waveforms, oscillators, filters, etc. This also provides good explinations on how various time based effects (reverb, phasing, etc.) work

Troubleshooting & Repairing Electronic Music Synthesizers - Publisher: Tab Books (Author: Delton T Horn) 1992
While this gets into a fairly deep level of tech support type info, it provides good basic info on the various components (you have to understand what the components do to attempt repairs).

The Synthesizer & Electronic Keyboard Handbook - Publisher:Alfred A. Knopf (Author: David Crombie) 1984
This is a basic knowledge book. It does explain how sounds are created, but spends more time on the history of synths, key synth artists and also shows scales, chords, etc. A good book for a noobie keyboard player, but not deep on sound creation.

Keyfax, The Definitive Guide To Electronic Keyboards - Publisher:Amsco Publications (Author: Julian Colbeck) 1985
This book identifies almost every electronic keyboard that was commercially available in 1985. Almost like a keyboard "blue book" Not deep on specific data, but you can gain an understand of how a Kork Poly 61 differs from a Roland Juno 6, etc.

I would think there are various web sites devoted to various analog synths, etc. Candidly, once you have a basic understanding of how ocillators generate wave forms and then filters shape the forms the rest is a matter of creative vision. If you can get you hands on a Juno 6, a Juno 60 or a Juno 106, you can really learn a lot - the control parameters are set up vary intuative so you can logically follow the wave form thru the "process" (basically from left to right on the control panel).

I hope this is helpful! Good luck!

Thanks man! I really appreciate you going to the trouble to dig that info up for me...very kind of you! Now it's time to hit the books and see about picking up a synth to play with. Looks like there's a few Juno 106's on ebay for about $250 or so...

Once again...you rock!

Iis there a web site where I could find these basics? There doesn't seem to be much on the topic, unless I'm looking in the completely wrong places.

Here's a link to a basic synth site - not to replace the books above but to add to them.

Of the three synths recommended, I would strongly suggest finding a Juno 106 because it's the only one of the three that has midi. Midi and midi continuous controllers are an important part of synthesis --- here are links to three good articles on midi basics - part one, part two and part three.

I agree that the MIDI capibility of the 106 is a big advantage.

Many people feel the Juno 6 & Juno 60 create fatter analog sounds than the 106 (the only real difference betwwen the 6 & the 60 - the 60 had preset patches but the 6 did not).

I own a 106 and I have owned both a 6 and a 60 - I keep the 106 because while providing the analog sounds, and more importantly the real time controls (I hate scrolling through windows) it does allow some MIDI controls (although the MIDI is limited compared to todays standards). Candidly, I don't find that much of a difference in the sounds from a 6 to a 60 to a 106

ssscientist said:
Here's a link to a basic synth site - not to replace the books above but to add to them.

Of the three synths recommended, I would strongly suggest finding a Juno 106 because it's the only one of the three that has midi. Midi and midi continuous controllers are an important part of synthesis --- here are links to three good articles on midi basics - part one, part two and part three.
Thanks for the midi basics links! I'm pretty familiar with the basics of midi from using it to sequence some very basic tracks (through GM banks on a soundcard) and from setting up a midi pedalboard to control my amp modeller. But it will never hurt me to run over it all again just in case there's something I missed!

Back