Syncing multiple synths

nemal

How do I sync multiple synths without daisy chaining?

I really need advice. I want each synth on its own midi port.
I use Sonar, which will only let me send the midi sync clock to one port at a time. I don't know if a Motu Midi Express or Emagic Unitor8 will fix my problem.

I'm comfortable with Sonar. I can't seem to get the hang of Logic Platinum, even though it will let me send the sync clock to all ports. I don't like the user interface as much as Sonar.

There are MIDI routing devices that can "split MIDI".

I have 2 - MIDI cables coming out of my computer. I send these to a 2 in, 8 out router. I then MIDI my various moudules to the router. This give me the ability to hook up 8 modules (with no daisy chains) and assign the signal from MIDI port 1 or 2 to any keyboard simply by flipping a switch.

mikeh,

Thanks for the reply. But if Sonar only lets me assign the midi sync clock to one port, then I can only use that one port to control all of my synths. That limits me to 16 tracks. My XV-5080 alone can have 32 instruments playing simultaneously. Not that I am going to be using that many instruments at any one time, but I don't want to have to constantly be shuffling my midi channels around. Within one song I could easily use more than 32 different sounds. I don't want to have to send Sysx commands to reassign patches to midi channels.

There must be a better way. For instance, the Motu Midi Express XT has 8 in and 8 output ports (128 midi IO). Plus it can do SMPTE. It can act as a sync Slave or Master. But I'm still not sure if it is the answer to my problems.

Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback. What's the name of your router, I'd like to check it out.

Nemal

nemal said:
...I don't know if a Motu Midi Express or Emagic Unitor8 will fix my problem.

Well, I am no expert, but I can tell you this - I have the MOTU micro xpress USB, and it comes with console software that allows you to do your MIDI routing virtually - and one of those features in the console software is that you can spread your MTC sync that comes into the box from whichever sequencer you are using, to any or ALL of the MIDI outs. That would solve the problem, correct?

Before you go get one though, check to see if the MIDI interface you are using now (I forget which one you said it was - I think you mentioned it in another thread) has had some kind of firmware update that you are entitled to or something. I think some manufactuers of those 2x2 & 4x4 interfaces are updating things so that their products have similar software console control.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the info. I just went down to Guitar Center and ordered the Express XT USB today. I have a midisport 4x4.
I didn't see anything on there website. But no matter, I need to go to an 8x8 anyway and I like Motu. I have a 2408mkII and its pretty nice. And I want to flexability to sync with SMPTE in the future.

Thanks again for your help.

Nemal

Back