SYncing Fostex VF-16 to Cubase5

Ace2000

Hello, can anybody share some advice about syncing the Fostex up to my Cubase5 system?

Right now, I have SPDIF going 2 channels out of the Fostex and into CUBASE.....now, do I need to add extra MIDI cables up to sync the two? I was under the idea from the manuals that it would be synced throught the SPDIF cables??? but it doesn't seem to be working...

any insight on this would be much appreciated since I find this topic not really covered to well in either manual.

1- Can syncing be done through the SPDIF cable?
2- DO I need MIDI cables to sync?
3- Which should slave and which should master?
4- WIll I have both MIDI cables AND SPDIF cables hooked up to sync the VF-16 up to CUBASE?

5- WHat can be done with this syncing of the units that i may not alrteady be aware of?

The reason I want to sync them togetehr is to
a)spend the day being frustrated,
b)I think it will make recording on both untis att he same time much easier??

thanks,

Ace2000 said:
Hello, can anybody share some advice about syncing the Fostex up to my Cubase5 system?

Right now, I have SPDIF going 2 channels out of the Fostex and into CUBASE.....now, do I need to add extra MIDI cables up to sync the two? I was under the idea from the manuals that it would be synced throught the SPDIF cables??? but it doesn't seem to be working...

any insight on this would be much appreciated since I find this topic not really covered to well in either manual.

1- Can syncing be done through the SPDIF cable?
2- DO I need MIDI cables to sync?
3- Which should slave and which should master?
4- WIll I have both MIDI cables AND SPDIF cables hooked up to sync the VF-16 up to CUBASE?

5- WHat can be done with this syncing of the units that i may not alrteady be aware of?

The reason I want to sync them togetehr is to
a)spend the day being frustrated,
b)I think it will make recording on both untis att he same time much easier??

thanks,

1 - Syncing cannot be done throught spdif cable

2 - you do need midi cables to sync

3 - slave and master depends on which you want to chase which. Are you going to be recording any new tracks in either cubase or on the vf-16? Or are you just mixing down existing tracks?

4 - you can have both midi and spdif cables hooked up. that is how you can transfer tracks to/from cubase to/from the vf-16.

5 - you need to be aware of your midi settings both in cubase and on the vf-16. Frame rates should match. MTC offsets should match.

I sync my fostex gear to sonar and nuendo all the time. It's really simple and it's a great way to transfer tracks from the HD recorder to the PC and vice versa. Another thing I do is to create drum tracks on the PC and sync those to my HD recorder and that way I have a drum track to play to and I'm not losing any tracks on the HD recorder.

thanks for the response, my problem syncing was that I wasn't using MIDI cables, I was using SPDIF and thinking somehow that would do it, but that's obviously just sending the audio signals right?

So, I just want to more or less begin the syncing experience...

I wanna have my HD recordeer SYNCED to CUBASE so I can send drum tracks from the HD into the CUBASE system.

I guess in that situation I should make CUBASE the slave?

Ace2000 said:
thanks for the response, my problem syncing was that I wasn't using MIDI cables, I was using SPDIF and thinking somehow that would do it, but that's obviously just sending the audio signals right?

So, I just want to more or less begin the syncing experience...

I wanna have my HD recordeer SYNCED to CUBASE so I can send drum tracks from the HD into the CUBASE system.

I guess in that situation I should make CUBASE the slave?

nope.. make cubase the master. slaves follow... hence, when you push record in cubase, the HD recorder will follow along and play or stop when you stop recording in cubase.

...I finally worked,....but???

Okay, after a few hours and sevral trial and errors, I successfully synced them. Thanks for the help too, btw. I'm using Cubase as the Master and slaving the Fostex...

BUT --- I'm hearing pops and clips in the drum tracks I'm uploading from The Fostex into Cubase.....Now, the drum tracks contain no peaks or clippings on the fostex, but due to limitations with Coaxial/Optical conversion, Im using SPDIF two trax ata time from Fostex to Cubase....and the new recorded Cubase fails contain the pops and clips that don't exist on the fostex.

I've tried changing frame rates from 25 to 30 etc, but it doesnt take the pops away from the signal.

is there something that could be causing this I can fix??

I can see lots of potential for this MIDI Sync and file transferring, but if it's goona clip and pop my tracks, it sould be pointless....

what is there I should try?

thanks for the help....

the clicks and pops have nothing to do with the transfer chase/lock/sync process. they probably have to do with your pc settings, HD type/speed, RAM, blah blah blah....

Back