Synchronizing Audio & Video

pellouch

Here's my setup -

1. Mac running audacity.
2. Video camera.
3. Couple of mics feeding a 2i2.

What I am trying to accomplish.

I want to record my daughter playing some song on her guitar (and singing). And have it high quality.

Is there a way to synchronize when the video from the camera starts recording with the audio from the 2i2 starts recording? Right now, I'm having to hit the record button on the video camera and then quickly jump over to the computer and hit the record button there (and then when i want to stop, hit stop on the computer and then jump over to the video camera and stop recording). It would be nice if I could only have to hit one button. Ideas?

-phil

You're not going to do it that way.
You have to edit in the HQ audio after the video is done.

1. Record both audio and video in the camera.
2. Also record audio in your computer. Record the computer audio at 48kHz...which is what the video camera will also use by default.

At this point, don't worry about hitting buttons at the same time...just let the camera roll and the computer roll.

3. Then, after you are done, you import the audio/video from the camera into one of dozens video editing programs....like Sony Vegas. There are even some OK free ones out there if you don't have a video editing program.

4. Now also import the audio from the computer into the video program on a seperate audio track.

5. Line up the computer audio with the camera audio by sight and by ear....then delete the camera audio.

If you have the video program on the same computer as your audio program...exporting/importing files is a breeze.

What Miroslav said. Even better, if you record your audio at a different sample rate Vegas will just resample it. Time is time regardless of sample rate. But it's still best to keep your audio in the video standard of 48kHz from start to finish for quality. Also, even if the camera audio is from its built in mic it will be similar enough to act as a guide to syncing the files.

You don't have to "quickly" jump anywhere. You can turn them on as leisurely as you like and just count your daughter in when she's ready...

1s and 0s... they're basically free.

Then edit it all together as per miro's post above.

You've now got a live recording with probably microphones in it. If you want a recording without microphones record the audio separately later... then add it in ....

And! You can get Vegas free for a month and I think there are two Vagasesssss? Pro and basic so you get a month on each!

Would not be surprised if Sony Soundforge now had basic video editing? That's Christmas sorted!

My son liked Camtasia, they do a trial too. Magix have stuff. Oh! you don't need to spend out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZX06U51zA

^Whoo-hoo!

Dave.

Back