synching / slaving word clocks

Dr_simon

Ok I really want to sort this out as it has been bugging me for ages !

Im running a G5 which interfaces with two MOTU 828s and have an octopre which I want to plug into the 828s via ADAT.

Im going to presume that the clock coming out of the BNC word out is the same as whatever the 828 is slaved to.

I have both my 828s slaved to the Mac internal clock. However, I want to use my octopre and interface it with the 828s via ADAT. So, I set the 828s to clock off the Mac and run a 75 ohm BNC connecter out of the first 828 and into the octopre ADAT card having told the octopre to synch to the external clock signal coming into the ADAT card.

As logic looks at the clock settings on the I/O control panel it will also synch to the Mac internal clock and everything will work wonderfully ?

Or am I missing something ?

Any words of wisdom and advice would be great !

Last edited:
That should work. However it might not yield the best performance from the Octopre. Generally a converter works best off its own internal clock, so when tracking, that would mean setting the 828s to clock off the incoming ADAT signal, which carries clock. A separate wordclock connection is not necessary. I believe the Mac would then be set to clock off the 828.

Some people feel that a quality external clock improves the performance of an A/D converter, but that is controversial. I do not know if the internal clock of a Mac would be considered a quality clock.

I'm in the external clock is better camp. I use a Lucid GenX6 as my Word Clock generator and clock distibution.

A guy that hangs out here sometimes with a REAL nice set up (Bruce "Blue Bear Sound") clocks his system (HD24, Sony Baby Oxford, RME Hammerfall, etc) with the GenX6 and I believe he still likes it.

Back