Synching Problems!

michael_lifshit

Ok, so. I have my preamp, audiphile soundcard, and a mic.

I am recording with audacity. Now, I guess there is some lag between when I play and when it records into the computer, so audacity pushes the new track back a bit when you record it. This should work fine.

However, I will be recording a new track over an old one, and then I am absolutely positive I am playing it right, and on time. But it appears that for some reason the lag gets smaller as I play, because slowly the second track starts to get ahead of the first, and they lose synch. I have tried many many times and am pretty sure it is not my playing.

Whats the deal? Its very frustrating.

It doesn't sound like a sync problem as much so a latency problem..which may actually be your PC or your settings in Audacity. If it were Protools (something I know a little bit about) I'd tell you to lower your buffer size...I'm sure someone here knows how to do similar in Audcaity.

I might switch from audacity to another program, since I dont really like it in the first place, and see if there is a difference.

Do you have any suggestions for a good free program?

Legally, no.

Some guys use N-Track here...I'd dig around before I went and dumped my program though, because I bet someone here knows how to fix your problem.

Back