synching/monitoring

Bobby Darko

Hey Guys,
About synching (again): I bought the Tascam Midiizer to sync my two Tascam 688's (did not arive yet). My question is about monitoring, who will this work. I mix over an amplifier to speakerset, but the Tascam's each have monitor out. I do want to be able to listen all tracks (14) at once. Do I need a submixer or will the master recorder put all 14 tracks to the stero masterbus? Difficult question eh? Hope someone can help! Cheers Hermann :cool:

Huh!

Quite a pickle...upon review of the 688 manual I'm surprised to find that the 688 does not have a SUB IN jack set for the STEREO/MASTER BUSS...that's normally how this would be accomplished...a set of jacks that input right before the master fader so you can take the submix from one mixer and bring it into the second mixer's master buss.

As an alternative you could use EFFect returns OR make a special set of cables so you can connect the monitor out of the first 688 to the INSERT jacks of channels 9 and 10 on the second one...this will bring the line level outout from the first 688 into the signal path right ahead of the channel 9 and 10 faders on the second one and then those can be routed to the groups masters on the second one. In that way you avoid sending the sum from the first 688 through the full channel strips on 9 and 10...you'll bypass the EQ, TRIM and source select sections and bring it straight to the channel faders.

Hope that helps.

Go buy one of these Herman, cheap as chips and can take multiple input sources, blend them to create a single stereo pair and then drive multiple outputs. Also it can be switched to mono to check phase. I bought one a few months ago to deal with three monitor systems and then realized I could hitch up two or more recorders to it and blend their outputs into a stereo pair. I have in mind to sync up two Boss BR1600's using midi in much the same way you are going to do with the 688's and this is how I will deal with the monitoring during mixdown. It'll preserve all my tracks that way. It has turned into one of the most handy things I have in my home studio. I keep it down to peaking at 0db on it's meters can't hear any quality degredation from it.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MON800.aspx

MON800_P0333_Front_web.jpg

Geoff

Guys,
Those are all three wonderfull options on which I have to decide yet. Thanks ver very much indeed! (I'm slightly leaning toward herms plan though, but I have to order the Teac routing device and I am all about less cables!)

Back