Sync Tascam Tsr-8 with Fostex R8?

ReelFostex!

Hello...the Tascam TSR-8 has midi, can it be put into sync with the fostex R8 which also has midi...is this hard to do? Thank you....

Neither has "MIDI". Both have the built-in capability to have the transport controlled by a synchronizer which is a box that "listens" to two timecode signals and varies the speed of one transport so that the two signals are synchronized. One transport is the master and the other is the slave transport which is the one that is varied in speed to stay in step with the other.

The timecode used in this case would be SMPTE timecode. The synchronizer box would have an audio output jack over which the SMPTE code is generated. That gets recorded simultaneously on one track (usually the last track) of an entire reel of tape on each machine.

A Fostex 4030 or Tascam ATS-500 or MTS-1000 MIDIizer are typical synchronizer solutions.

The biggest headache is the cables that go from the synchronizer to each machine. Custom cables would have to be found or made to interface the TSR-8 with the 4030 or to interface the R-8 with the ATS-500 or MTS-1000, and sometimes finding schematics to make the cables can be a pain.

Hello...the Tascam TSR-8 has midi, can it be put into sync with the fostex R8 which also has midi...is this hard to do? Thank you....

The TSR-8 does not have MIDI and even if it did, they cannot be synchronized that way. However, it can be done.

Be warned, this is complicated. You will probably need extra hardware to make it work. I'll explain how to make the TSR-8 slave to the Fostex, since I've done that kind of thing.

To make the TASCAM slave, you'll need a sync box, one that is able to connect to the Accessory-2 port on the TSR-8. I use the TASCAM ATS-500 for this, the TASCAM MTC-1000 is another one. I believe the TimeLine MicroLynx and Lynx-2 can also do this, but I haven't tried those.

First, record a timecode track on track 8 of both machines. The sync box itself is usually able to generate the timecode. You will need to turn noise reduction off for track 8 - the 'Sync' button on the TSR does this, not sure about the Fostex.

When you're ready, make sure the ATS-500 (or whatever) is connected to the TASCAM via the accessory-2 cable (make sure it's plugged into the 'slave' port) and switch the machines on. You should see the amber 'EXT' light flashing on the deck.

You may need to run the ATS setup routine now, but I can't remember how that's done for a single TSR-8 (I use it to lock two together). Try it without first, I guess.

Anyway, to start the sync, press 'CHASE' and 'PHASE' on the ATS, and press PLAY on the Fostex. With luck, the TSR-8 should chase the R8 and sync up.

I don't have an R8. However, if your R8 really does have MIDI, it's probably got the MTC-1 expansion board fitted.
If you're lucky, you might be able to get the Fostex to chase the TASCAM using just the MTC board. Does it have 'LTC in' and 'LTC out' sockets?
Try plugging track 8 from the TASCAM into the LTC IN port on the MTC board. That alone might be enough to get it to chase the timecode from the TASCAM. I honestly don't know.

Last edited:
Thanks guys....I am encouraged..

thank you for the detailed infor....I am encouaged...please don't throw in the towels...where would I go?

Back