symetrix 501...got one cheap. Anyone use one?

CMEZ

I sniped it for $75 on ebay...impulse buy. Am I going to be sorry?

I already have an RNC, was hoping the Symetrix could handle either kick or bass...

Someone I know suggested there's an easy 'chip' upgrade? Anybody know anything about that?

Thanks,
Chris

kinda depends

which 501 is it? the old one or the newer one? you can tell by which "on/off" switch it has.

the older ones (with the silver toggle switch) were highly favored on bass and kick.....so, in a nutshell, it should be fine for that. the newer ones had a different (considered inferior) chip that made them not as "popular".

i've had an older 501 (or a pair of em) on my list for a while now, but other things keep jumping in front. do some searches around here for "501" and see what you get--should be plenty of info.

wade

Does anyone know how the new 501's with the grey button sound? Are they still worthwhile for other reasons or just not as useful as they were for bass?

T

The ones with the grey buttons are still good compressors. Probably very similar to something like a dbx 266 but a tad smoother. It should still handle bass better than an RNC.

Thanks chessrock,
I was deciding between one of the push button 501's (used) and a similarly priced behringer unit (new), for bass and occasionaly vocals. Since the unit still retains some of its desirable characteristics i might opt for the symetrix instead.

T

Looks like a grey button unit. I see no toggle switches.

I've heard that this 'inferior chip' can simply be swapped out, no soldering. Anybody know anything about this?

Chris

maybe it's just me, but i'd take just about anything named "Symetrix" over anything named "Behringer" just about any day.

although, the Symetrix units don't come with those cool stickers..... :p

dunno about the "easy chip replacement"--never been inside a 501. my guess is that there would be some soldering involved.

wade

The 501's are actually very good units.
Yes the button units are considered to be less of a find
than the older toggle power switch units, but that is
probably either folklore or opinion. If you've got the unit,
test it out. IMO the 501 is just as much a steal in the
comp world as the RNC, of which I have both in my studio.
I've used the 501 on just about everything, and it can
acheive great vocal tracks to boot. If you don't like it,
let us know...somebody around here will surely snag it
from you if you decide to sell! :)

A Good buy. Enjoy.
Sky Pilot

CMEZ said:
I've heard that this 'inferior chip' can simply be swapped out, no soldering. Anybody know anything about this?

The toggle switch models have a pretty rare and discontinued VCA that was originally made by Valley People -- so it shares some similarities with the Dynamite / Gain Brain lineage. The VCA alone would be worth more than you paid for your comp.

The button model has a dbx chip. I'm pretty sure it's the same one they use in the 266.

I have a pair (grey push-button) and use them for bass and kick 90% of the time, especially good on bass through an Avalon U5...that's my go-to sound, except when it's not :D

BW

What about the cheaper Symetrix units....

...like the SX208????

Are these decent as compared to ....say......composer pro or dbx xl stuff???

-mike

just an update...

the 501 arrived, and it IS a toggle model. phat as a mu-fucker on bass, haven't tried on vocals yet.

My only other compressor is an RNC, been using it on kick, so haven't had a chance to really throw the 501 on the kick yet.

Thanks,

Chris

I had 6 of em(501's) in my PA rack.Dont even mention that b...rijer crap in the same breath.

Now I use the older 525's in the studio rack.Both are just fine for many many uses.Wish I hadnt sold the old rack.........

symetrix 501 - yeah, its good

Golly Gee Whiz. So i just unpacked and plugged in this 501 for the first time. It's a grey-push button model. Put a DI'd bass through it. Played some rock, then blues, then punk, and finally some jazz type stuff. Might have to call this thing the gandalf-the-grey-push-button 501 for bass - just to make sure that people get it straight that this thing is still a cool find, toggle switch or no toggle switch! Lot's of bass sounds to be had - from smooth to punchy, raunchy to clean. This thing was $70 well spent...

Thanks Chessrock, Skypilot, mrface2112 and everyone else who posted about their experiences with this unit.

T

Back