syemtrix pres and comps

willovercome

i have the RNP and DMP3 and RNC as well as a few other compressors and pres, but i'm looking at some of the symetrix stuff used. which pres and which compresors do you recomend? i'm not looking for anything in particular, just more choices and flavors. maybe something for vocals and a good compressor for taming the wild bass.

thanks

willovercome said:
which pres and which compresors do you recomend? i'm not looking for anything in particular, just more choices and flavors. maybe something for vocals and a good compressor for taming the wild bass.

For vocals, the Symetrix 528 is a dynamite channel strip. Has a quality mic pre, compression, EQ and de-esser all in one box and they're extremely cheap on Ebay.

It's advisable to go with the earlier versions -- the 528 as opposed to the 528E, and/or the SX202 (2-channel mic pre) as opposed to the 302. The earlier versions were based around a superior amplifier -- the discontinued SSM2015.

As for bass guitar, this one's easy -- the 501. I have one of these guys in my rack, and it gets used all the freakin' time on a ton of different stuff, particularly bass guitar.

Like the 528, the earlier 501 compressors used a superior component that was discontinued in the later models, and most who have experience with both will tell you the earlier models were preferable. In the case of the 501, this would involve the VCA -- the latter models used a dbx VCA, I believe, while the earlier ones used a much-coveted Valley People VCA.

The way you can tell is by the power switch. The earliest models had a toggle switch. Look at the photos carefully and be on the lookout for the models with the little silver toggle on the far right side of the strip.

I've got two 528's (one of which is currently being moded) and a 501, and I totally dig 'em. I feel like I shouldn't be giving away my secrets, here, :D but seriously, you could assemble a pretty respectable utilitarian rack with a bunch of these guys, a dmp3, an RNC or two, and a couple of dbx Project I 242 EQs.

Jim Williams at www.audioupgrades.com does an excellent mod on Symetrix's BTW. Planning to have him mod a DBX 760x dual mic pre in about a month or so. It's cheaper than a SX-202, and it has a better chasis than the 202 IMHO.
(either one will get gutted anyway)

Chris

the symetrix pres are of the clean and clear variety, and probably arent going to sound very different or interesting compared to the dmp3. if you need more pres i would go for it... but if you are looking for something better or different i would hold off.

symetrix comps are very solid, well built, well designed. they have a hair of flavor compared to say the RNC. in that sense they are a little easier to work with, and have a more forgiving sound. plus they are dirt cheap.

again, older ones tend to be better ones in terms of having better components. but the newer ones are fine too.

another flavor box to look for is the ashly sc-50 comp. you should be able to find one for under $75. and they do wonders for guitars and keyboards. they come in at least two varieties. i have the one with the limiter function, which i find to be a pretty crazy limiter.

The Ashley's supposedly have sort of a gritty thing going on that a lot of people seem to like on heavy guitars.

Not sure about the EQ's.

chessrock- shut up about the 242's. I just got one. For anybody listening. It sucks. Horribly. If you have one, you should sell it immediately. To me. I'll take it off your hands. :D

i'm thinking about picking up an ashly sc-50 for electric guitar and maybe to beef up acoustics amd who knows maybe try it on vocals. all i have now is an RNC and the waves plug-ins. what do you think?

Should give you yet another color on the proverbial pallet.

I can't see how you could go wrong. It's not like it's a major investment. What do they go for (on ebay)? 60 bucks?

Just do it, man!

willovercome said:
i'm thinking about picking up an ashly sc-50 for electric guitar and maybe to beef up acoustics amd who knows maybe try it on vocals. all i have now is an RNC and the waves plug-ins. what do you think?

I have a pair of SC50s. Had them since 1982. They work great on guitars and especially bass. I use them for everything. They are super reliable and are very transparent (to me, at least).

Back