SWR Amps

I own a Basic Black, it does pretty much everything, but it is weak on power (160w). The replacement, Black Beauty, is a 350w, and would be pretty much the ideal bass combo. I've tried the heads, they are also great, and the Triad cab is untouchable. Did I mention I like 'em?

I have a 750, the old style not the 750X and a Workingmans 4004. I also have a SWR 8x10 cab that is loud as all get out combined with the 750. I like both amps and the cab.
What do you want to know about SWR?

Clive Hugh said:
Does anyone have any experience with SWR bass amps?

Yeah. I plugged an SM500 into my Ampeg cab for a few weeks. To be honest, I didn't dig it. It didn't come close to reprodicing *my* sound, but it was clean, tight, and loud. It just lacked detail and what I would call harmonic complexity. It sounded bland.

Just my opinion.

Years ago I had a Basic Black 15" combo with an extension cab. It was perfect for the blues band I was in at the time. When the band broke up, I sold the amp (got tired of lugging it around) but regretted it afterwards. It was a very good amp.

I got a Workingman's 10 for 150 bucks in really, really good condition. My pants had more cat hair on them than that amp did. Albeit it's just a small one, it sure beats the crap out of anything near what I paid for it.

Look for them used--the lines keep getting discontinued and you can probably snag one for a decent price, and it will definitely do the job.

Thanks for the replies, the bass player in the group I play with is looking at one, the paperwork sounds impressive but neither of us have heard one. He was going to get a Marshall but several dealers he rang told him to stay away from that model and a couple suggested this so he is looking. But we live far away from music shops, like 1800 km so we are both trying to gather info so he has an idea what to expect next time he flys to the city.
Clive

I've played a swr workingman head, 2x10 cab, and 1x15 big bertha cab. A guy I used to play in a band with owned it and left it at my house sometimes for days to weeks. I played it often and really liked the head and 2x10 cab sound. It was punchy, tight, and not lacking in detail that I remember. I'm not a bass player though so take that as you will.

Zed10R said:
Yeah. I plugged an SM500 into my Ampeg cab for a few weeks. To be honest, I didn't dig it. It didn't come close to reprodicing *my* sound, but it was clean, tight, and loud. It just lacked detail and what I would call harmonic complexity. It sounded bland.

Just my opinion.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion. I'd guess that the "harmonic complexity" you're seeking is what I would call distortion.

My main rig is a SWR Workingmans 4004 through an Avatar SB12 Neo. As you say: Clean, tight, and loud (enough). My practice rig is a WM 15. It's good too.

Clive Hugh said:
the bass player in the group I play with is looking at one,

WHICH one?

"SWR" includes all sorts of amps, some of which are great -- the pro stuff -- and some of which is overpriced imported junk-to-adequate gear.

"SWR" is meaningless without more information.

The Pro stuff (US-made) is particularly notable for the high quality of the electronic components, which tends to result in lower noise, more consistent sound and increased longevity.

bongolation said:
WHICH one?

"SWR" includes all sorts of amps, some of which are great -- the pro stuff -- and some of which is overpriced imported junk-to-adequate gear.

"SWR" is meaningless without more information.

The Pro stuff (US-made) is particularly notable for the high quality of the electronic components, which tends to result in lower noise, more consistent sound and increased longevity.
It's one of the "Workingman" models, SM500 it says on the front.

The few SWR's I've played have sounded pretty good, but I just can't get over the price. It's like Galien-Krueger, which, by the way, are some of the worst bass amps i've EVER played (sorry if anyone is a fan). GK are overpriced so much. If price is an issue, I'd consider Hartke. But back to the question, yes, most SWR's are pretty good, clean amps.

In my limited experience with SWR, they tend to be clean, tight, and punchy which is great if thats the kind of sound youre looking for.

as for myself, im an ampeg guy--love that dirty rock tone.

Well, I have owned an SM400S and a Goliath Sr. for quite q while, and I think it sounds fantastic! Built in the USA, and built like a tank. Of course it was one of the earliest models - long before the Fender buyout.

Back