switching sticks

monster

who here uses multiple stick types while playing? Who is loyal to a single stick? I find myself wanting to switch up a lot- promark 5B, 747B super rock to 5A and even 7A. Is this a bad habit? Will it hurt my body or my technique?

I don't think it will hurt you to use different sizes (I hope not at least). I usually use a smaller stick, such as a 7A, when I need to get around the kit faster (like for jazz and stuff). However, when I do a rock or metal gig I'll use at least a 5A. I've also tried the Ahead sticks which have a totally different feel.

The have an aluminum core and have replaceable rubber sheaths over the neck of the stick. I personally have not had good luck with them. I thought they would be good when I was breaking wood sticks alot, however I broke these too... they are like $20-$30 a pair I can't remember.

Sometimes you just have to change sticks because the music demands it. I am always switching between brushes or soft tympani mallets for different parts of a piece. Or a metal rod striker for a bell pattern on the cowbell or agogo.
I even tried the double ended soft mallet/5A sticks that I could just turn around, but I hated how the sticks felt, it kind of threw off the balance a whole lot.

Drummers have been changing sticks in the middle of songs forever. You'll get used to it. It's part of what we do.

I swap sticks all the time depending on the music. You should be able to play the exact same thing (speed and versatility wise) with a 5b or 7a. I use different sizes to help with the mood or dynamics. You wuldnt want to play a soft ballad with 2b's or play a speed metal song with wire brushes. It is part of the game.

My stick bag is stuffed with different sized sticks, brushed, dowels, mallets, etc.

While I prefer a 5A (with nylon tip for cymbal articulation) I will pull 7A's for a light jazz feel or 5B's if I need a litle more meet for a rock tune.

I also use various sized Hot Rods, Cool Rods etc. when needed - in many cases switching in mid song.

I once had a singer tell me that I was like a surgeon grabbing different tools during a preocedure - I always liked that analagy.

I love the way my snare sounds with the hot rods. It also allows you to play with more emotion without going outside the dynamic range of the song.

Back