Switch of mixers?

buryher17

Hey guys, I've been recording for about 6 years now and have gotten a feel of what should/shouldn't be done. I've used my fair share of mid-grade (and even some high end) gear and know for the most part what is/isn't comparable.

One thing, however, I am unsure of is the quality of the digi 002/003 Rack. I've used the console before and thought it had a lot of potential. For the longest time the 002 console was a "must have" for my studio, however I'm a broke college kid so it turned into a "want" not "need".

Anyways, I purchased an Alesis multimix 16 usb 2.0 the week it came out for a killer price and have been ecstatic with it ever since. The only thing now is i've moved into an apartment and don't have the same room as I have had before. I also have started doing mroe live shows then before. Because of all this, I've switched to electronic drumming (easing the use of channels).

My question is should I sell my alesis multimix 16 usb 2.0 and grab a used/ 002/003 rack? Or should I just keep what I have and keep it in my travel rack?

I also have a DMPA Gold preamp that adds an extra 2 inputs, so 10 inputs seem sufficient enough for me to do the live show's I am and also do recordings at home. If not... I can always buy another DMPA Gold :D

Any suggestions are encouraged! Thanks!

Whaddaya want for it?

I've got the non-usb version, new and unused. I'm thinking about letting my nephew buy it for his school projects. :cool:

Whaddaya want for it?

I've got the non-usb version, new and unused. I'm thinking about letting my nephew buy it for his school projects. :cool:

I'm only gona sell the usb one if I get either a digi002 or digi003 rack. Obviously I'd have to put cash towards the 003, but I'd be willing if it's really worth it.

I love the multimix 16 2.0 though. It's a great mixer with a lot of capabilities, however, I feel the need to make that "Pro Tools" jump and actually have an industry standard mixer. Plus, if I get a rack mount, I can EASILY transport it to shows and use it in my small apartment.

I'm so confused on what to do :confused::D:p

I don't have experience with any of the listed interfaces, but I will say for the most part, you get what you pay for. If you have the cash to spare, I'd go for it!

I'm only gona sell the usb one if I get either a digi002 or digi003 rack. Obviously I'd have to put cash towards the 003, but I'd be willing if it's really worth it.

I love the multimix 16 2.0 though. It's a great mixer with a lot of capabilities, however, I feel the need to make that "Pro Tools" jump and actually have an industry standard mixer. Plus, if I get a rack mount, I can EASILY transport it to shows and use it in my small apartment.

You've already begun answering your own question. You need to weigh all the pros and cons of the move. Make a side-by-side list if you must. Ask yourself what would you be gaining. What would you be losing.

I seriously doubt that you will notice very much if any difference in sound quality. So, your decision should be based more on features alone. Will this thing actually save you time and precious space?

Furthermore, I believe that DigiDesign stuff is all proprietary. (i.e. Their hardware only works with their software.)

You've already begun answering your own question. You need to weigh all the pros and cons of the move. Make a side-by-side list if you must. Ask yourself what would you be gaining. What would you be losing.

I seriously doubt that you will notice very much if any difference in sound quality. So, your decision should be based more on features alone. Will this thing actually save you time and precious space?

Furthermore, I believe that DigiDesign stuff is all proprietary. (i.e. Their hardware only works with their software.)

As I reread my post I felt the exact same way haha Thanks for making that point though saying you don't think the quality will be much different. I think with the preamps I own, there isn't much use for a change if it comes to the sound quality part. And I agree 100% on how it ONLY works with protools hardware/etc. That's the main reason I never bothered with pro tools int he first place.

Considering my financial situation (broke college kid), I think I might just hold it out and wait a little while longer and gte a digi003 console. Evevntually I'll have a larger space and can spread out more.

Thanks for the help guys!

I just bought a Multimix 16 USB and it's great for multitracking to computer. You can't beat the price - I got mine for $400.

i agree! I bought the usb 16 2.0 one the week it came out for only $450 new, but I see it goes for $650 now on musiciansfriend.com. I love when stuff like that happens :cool:

I'm only gona sell the usb one if I get either a digi002 or digi003 rack. [snip]
I love the multimix 16 2.0 though. [snip]I feel the need to make that "Pro Tools" jump and actually have an industry standard mixer. [snip]

not attempting to dissuade anyone from picking up either 002 or 003 (although in a number of ways 002 is getting cost/benefit dated)

but would contest the idea that either is 'industry standard'

(though it might well depend on what industry you mean)

the resources/tools available with $10K+ hardware PT installations are significantly different then anything available to the entry level home market. How well the mixes/session executed on consumer gear translate to commercial PT studios is open to debate

but if now that you feel you 'feet on ground' in terms of experience and are sure you need to migrate to PT the an 003 (or even 002) would be a marginally . . . better . . . choice then any m-powered gear . . .

in my experience I would be surprised if you noticed any significant difference in converters between Alesis (though my experience is with firewire A/D and HD units) and Digi but getting into PT mind set requires PT hardware and 003 is a reasonable place to start. And having done this for a number of years from all sorts of home facilities I consistently find having separate installed home and ready to travel remote rigs to be very beneficial

the one last caveat is that anything from Avid is going to be harder to expand step-wise (e.g. add additional A/D channels) then any number of other options (Firewire by a half dozen mnfc (with adat & word clock) and mic pres with adat out (some form of external sync is useful for 3 or more boxes) & word clock from any of a half dozen mnfc (even used a Behringer 8000AD (though converters were Alesis) for a while))

Back