Sweetbeats given props on eBay!

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
Tascam MU 40 Tascam MX 80 Combo in Hardcase Together | eBay

TASCAM MU-40 & TASCAM MX-80 (combo) in HARDCASE TOGETHER
Seller information
blubutton4u (283 )
99.1% Positive feedback

Time left: 1 day 19 hours (Jul 06, 2014 05:30:38 PDT)

Starting bid: US $175.00 [0 bids ]
Place bid Enter US $175.00 or more
Price: US $450.00 Buy It Now

WAREHOUSE BUY OUT, THESE WERE INSIDE, THEY LOOK GREAT, EVERYTHING APPEARS TO LOOK LIKE IT CAME OUT OF A STORE, REALLY NICE SHAPE,
I DID NOT CHECK THIS OUT, I ASSUME IT WORKS,

2 WEEK WARRANTY,

(google search stuff below )

The MX-80 is an excellent 8x2 mic mixer. The many patch points enable it to be used in numerous configurations, either as standalone preamp modules or mixed 8x2 to stereo, & any combination thereof. In a pinch the preamps could be bypassed & the unit be used as a line level mixer. The phantom power has to be supplied by an external unit that plugs into the MX-80.

A compatible rackmount phantom power supply may have been scoped as a "future" Tascam product that never got implemented, or it may have been scoped to adapt to "off-the-shelf" phantom power supplies of the day,... though I've never seen one except one single rack unit that looked to be home made.

As far as the 2-prong XLR, it was probably more standard back in the day, but you'd have to go-deep at some esoteric electronics stores to find one today. A super sleuth like sweetbeats could probably dig one up for you online in about an hour. Heh.

The 2-prong XLR phantom power input was an obvious attempt to differentiate it from the standard XLR mic inputs or XLR line outputs,... for obvious reasons

The MX-80 does have facility to insert a compressor or other processing gear into each channel but it is not done with the typical TRS inset connection. It is done via ACCESS SEND/RECEIVE RCA jacks and is normalized with a jumper pin.

The output of the MX80 can feed the input of a tape recorder, no problem but, keep in mind this is a 8X2 mixer and is not designed for complex overdubbing and cue mixing whilst doing so. It also does not have phantom power for any condenser microphones that require them.

The jumpers must be in place, just like on your Portastudio or, no sound will pass through the channel you wish to use without any processing gear plugged into the access send/receive jacks.

If the seller can not find the jumpers, you can substitute a short RCA to RCA patch cable which will replace, (in a sloppier fashion), the nice, neat and short jumper that originally came with the mixer.

As to the hook up chain, you use the ACCESS SEND as an output to feed the input of your compressor and the take the output of your compressor and connect that to the RECEIVE jack on the MX-80 and then set the level from the mixer.

It is always best to leave the reel to reel's level controls at the CAL, (reference) level so that you can keep that circuitry at is cleanest setting and then adjust your recording level from the mixer's controls to get a healthy and proper level depending on the source's output, (you singing or, a musical instrument).

Keep in mind that all of TASCAM's higher end models above yours, have recording level controls only in the calibration settings as a set it and forget it type of adjustment, not to be monkeyed with, once set correctly.

The MX-80 only offers the main stereo out jacks in the master section of the back panel and an additional set of AUX output jacks which are just paralleled main stereo outs.

So, you would hook up the main L out to channel 1, main out R to channel 2, Aux out L to channel 3 and Aux out R to channel 4 of the reel to reel.

As you add your parts to the tracks on the reel to reel, you must pan your microphone to the associated channel you wish to record to. Pan left for channels 1 & 3, pan right for channels 2 & 4.

And yes. Use standard RCA pin jack connection cables to go from the MX-80's outputs to the 34's inputs.

WAIT! I just realized that a fair amount of this text was copied directly from one of MY online posts here!
No wonder the "sweetbeats" reference! At least thru the word, "Heh" is my post. Some of the following stuff I may have written, but I'm not sure. I haven't memorized everything I've ever written on this BBs. So I guess it's me who gets props in this ad! Never mind!

:spank::eek:;)

Attachments

• Tascam MX-80 MU-40.jpg
    Tascam MX-80 MU-40.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 153
Well, at least he preceded it by saying "google search stuff below"... :rolleyes: But I agree it would have been nice, respectful if the guy would have given proper props and actually quoted Dave - A REEL PERSON, provided the actual source / link. Otherwise it's a rather shitty thing to do.:mad:

Last edited:
Silly, yeah.

Or like,... "here's what some gearheads are saying about this mixer".
Or,... "here's some verbage about it from HRcom". Etc.

anyone who googles

"The MX-80 is an excellent 8x2 mic mixer. The many patch points enable it to be used in numerous configurations, either as standalone preamp modules or mixed 8x2 to stereo, & any combination thereof. In a pinch the preamps could be bypassed & the unit be used as a line level mixer. The phantom power has to be supplied by an external unit that plugs into the MX-8"

will end up with 2 hits .. well i did to see if you nicked it from elsewhere :P

Anyone who googles Tascam MX-80 will get a fair number of hits.

I don't google my own stuff, but sometimes my posts show up in google searches of subjects I'm interested in.

Back