"Sweet Like The Rain"

Strat1958

Late-blooming songwriter!
I wrote this one last week after a walk with my wife, on the pier by our house. Snippets of our conversation weave their way into the song.

Inspired by the long, mood-setting intros on "Love Reign O'er Me" by The Who, and "Long Road Out Of Eden" by The Eagles, I did the same....lots of soothing rainfall and a cedar flute, for about 1 minute before the song actually starts.

Nothing too deep here, just a simple lovey-dovey song.

Hope you like it - my wifey did! :D

SWEET LIKE THE RAIN by Mike Pilling

V1
So there we were just walkin’
Spending time just talkin’
You said you loved your toes
Was the colour tiffany rose?

The wind was in your hair
Said it’s cool for this time of year
A lot of summer left to go
We still got the glow

CH
And it’s sweet / Like the rain
The way it is / I can’t complain
Oh it’s sweet / Like the rain
So much behind / So much to gain
Can’t you almost taste the sweet ol’ rain?

V2
Rememberin’ time we spent
Doesn’t matter where we went
Just being in the air
That together time we share

Taking breaks from what we do
Did you say you want new shoes?
A lot of summer left to go
We still got the glow

Here is another cool song from the stable of Strat.

Relaxed, unhurried and gentle, it flows like the rain.

Couple of thoughts:

The flute sound at the start is great . . . very suggestive of tropical islands and conches.

The rain sound . . . try a very long fade into the song so that it doesn't end quite so abruptly . . . likewise, a long fade in when it reappears.

In the chorus I was hoping for chords that sounded a bit more jagged (recognizing, though, that the song is meant to be mellow). For example, after the A, instead of going E, C#m E, you could try reversing the chords, i.e. A C#m E C#m. Or maybe even A Ab C#m E. You would still preserve your melody line.

As you say, a "simple lovey-dovey" song. But it works for me because it doesn't overdo the lovey-dovedness, and is more suggestive than explicit.

Nicely done!

This is nice Mike. An intimate moment often leads to song ideas.

It’s a little sappy but you can’t avoid that if your intention is to be as honest as you are here.

I like the subtle humor in it too.

The music fits the words well. I’d have brought the flute back in before the end.

The constant shaker up the middle gets distracting after a while.

The rain sounds mono. I have a nice stereo rain storm I recorded recently. You’re welcome to it.

All in all – nice work.

Good song, Mike! Especially liked the strat near the beginning, BTW.

Keep the good songs coming, my friend!

Cheers,
Joseph

I’m with Gecko on this – Cool and unhurried.

I’m not so sure about the rain, at the start? I really love the piano arp and would love to hear this from the start with the rain and long intro with much more guitar. I’d bring in the flute in the later as a counter point to an est riff on guitar.

I really like the chorus and think you could start with this after a x2 Vs length intro. And please once you have spent all that time taking me there don’t fade out so quickly. Perhaps it is the strat and your vox but it has got a Chris Rea feel to it which is very seductive.

The ‘tiffany rose’ line sounds like it was straight from the conversation and it stands out. If you could capture that snippet of an ‘unusual-phrasing-as-spoken’ line in each verse then you could raise it out of the happy frothy. It could become a very personal documentation of a private walk, that would still resonate to a wider audience through the CH.

Like to hear how this one develops

Awesome feedback, thanks. Back to the studio for a few tweaks!

-Mike

BTW, I'm a HUGE Chris Rea fan - have been since 1978.

Nice song. I'm sure your wife loved it. Nice mood setting moments. Guitar sounds wonderful. Just the right touch.

I agree with the shaker comment, too much. I also like the idea of a long fade for the rain. I'm sure you've looked at that many times and wondered how to get the best transition. Maybe start the fade sooner.

Is my hearing in peril or is the vox not panned center??? Seems off, just a tad. I'm on ear buds, so maybe they suck worse than I thought. :D

Anyways, great song. thanks for sharing.

Chili,

Thank you, for your comments.

The vox is panned about 10 degrees right, because I panned the elec guitar about 20 degrees left.

Good ear, man!

-Mike

Chili,

Thank you, for your comments.

The vox is panned about 10 degrees right, because I panned the elec guitar about 20 degrees left.

Whew, whatta relief. I'm a little obsessed about symmetry, so I always say keep the main beat drivers and melody makers in the middle. Kick, Bass, lead vocals and lead solo parts. But that's just me.... :)

and I'll say it again, I really like your song.

Back