Swamp Prog Metal Song

NobleSavage

This song is posted as bait for a singer, as I'm not much of one. It's a swamp prog(my own term, since modern metal heads love sub-genres lol) song.

The mix is the best I've come up with so far, but something about is still lacking.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

And any singers wanna play around, I have 8 of the 10 songs for this song/story complete and would love some assistance. (why isn't there a forum around here for collaborating? Or have I just blindly missed it?)

Metal Alert!!!!!!

Kick ass song! There are some serious moments in this tune..........The vocals are really good for the most part.......decent metal vocal.....quite a few nice notes too.....there's a few rough spots but I still think it could be repaired with some punches....I'm not the best singer so take that for what it's worth.....I like how the song immediately starts kickin' ass.......and doesn't really stop kicking....and kicking.........little break at 4:15.......more metal.........yeah dude, I'm really diggin' this song........I would keep singing if I were you.....this is a really LOUD recording too......I really love hearing proper Metal when you don't expect it.....no bones about it.......I am cranking your tune right now and it sounds good..... Elements of 'Mercyful Fate' maybe?????

thank you for playing metal:cool:

Last edited:
good tune, I suppose, but it all sounds "processed" to me, and lacks an authenticity to it. I hear a "tinkling piano" in there...eh? what's that for? damn...that kick drum sure gets a workout:D

I like your vocals in this style...and would put them on an equal to your music.

thanks for listening!

The vocals... well, like i said, I'm not a fan... but the only vocalists I've found on the net to work with weren't reliable and basically felt good to complete a song a year... which I'm too impatient to wait for, so I faked them until someone/anyone better comes along. But, since that's not happening, B.Sabbath, you mentioned some parts could be betted through a punch, if you'd tell me which ones, I'll do it... anything to help it.

mixmkr, the 'processed' part I'm not sure I understand... I thought it was pretty raw in comparison to most of the stuff I hear... so what do I know. lol But if you could give me more detail on that, I can see if it's something I was shooting for or something I need to fix.
The tinkling piano you hear is a harpsichord soundfont I found that I really liked... to me it gives a little more melodic underpinning to the hard A string riffing of the guitar and bass. I tried a nice piano sound I have, but it made the sound kind of "hinky" to me... and any synth sounds I tried didn't seem to work much to my ears either. I wanted a nice percussive melodic thing, and the harpsichord is one of those cheezy metal sounds I love.

The drums. Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't program drums like a drummer would play them... I like to have the drum do riffs just like I like the guitar to do it. I love the kick drum sound... it's one of those things that I think really moves it and gets your but shaking.... it's a stylistic weakness on my part.

Again, thanx alot for listening and giving suggestions, they will definitely get used.

NobleSavage said:
mixmkr, the 'processed' part I'm not sure I understand... I thought it was pretty raw in comparison to most of the stuff I hear...

by 'processed', I meant that the sounds feel like they are all coming from sampled, synthetic devices, rather than just a mic in front of an amp capturing a performance. I can sympathize with the drum programming, but since that appeared canned, the guitar sounding canned (like from a J-station, POD, etc), it gave the whole song that kinda feeling.

I am glad that you're sticking to your guns and keeping the things you like, and not worrying about if 'Joes' like me like the keyboard tinkle and stuff like that. You gotta please yourself first to make good music, imo....not what other people want.

hey dude,

It's hard for me to say what part of the vocal should be redone because I'm not a better singer......and I am very bias sometimes when it comes to metal because that name gets thrown around a lot and IMOP, rarely turns out to be what metal is *to me*....

This is definitely a good tune and if it were me, I would keep redoing the vocals myself......your voice is right there for this......you 'under rate' your vocal ability and that's usually a good thing IMOP.....but I have no reason to tell you I think your voice is good if it isn't.....I think you can pick out the parts that are strange and the ones that are really good.....some are just off by a bit...but still it's enough to notice....but if you did nothing else with the vocals.....I still liked it for what it is... I really like the 'harpsichord' also...You never answered my question...do you listen to 'Mercyful Fate'?

When I think of 'Metal'......this is the *type of sound* I expect to hear.......:cool:

ahhhhh, now I understand about the processed feel. The guitars are a mixture of live amp and v-amp... most of the rhythm was done with a crate blue voodoo amp - then I layered an almost ac/dc level distortion guitar from the v-amp to thicken the sound. But that processed sound you are talking about is one of the problems I'm having with the mix as well... it needs some reverb I think, but every time I add a little it sounds like crap... but a little bit of punchiness to the mix would certainly liven it up and kill that processed feel. Hopefully.

Vocally, I'm hit or miss. Some days I can get the sound that I'm after, other days I'm all over the map. I'll just keep retrying and refining my technique. I like the basic approach to vocals I have, I just am no fan for the tone that my voice has... it's not really 'cutting' like I would prefer. Of course, a new mic would probably help out tons, so that might be next on the shopping list.

I've listened to a few mercyful fate tracks ages and ages ago... so other than Black Funeral and a few other tracks like that, I'm not really knowledgeable about them. The basic sound I was going for with these songs is a really flowing, natural sound as the songs move into unexpected directions. So rather than having the basic vs/ch/vs/ch/br/solo/ch setup, try for something a little different, but without creating sterile sounding prog rock or metal. This song is a step in the right direction with the idea, imo. Basically it's trying to create a metal sound that people are comfortable with, yet not something where they say "wow, he's definitely a queensryche fan or wow, he's really a metallica fan"... so, like everything else in life, it's a work in progress.

Big influences on me songwriting wise would be Blue Oyster Cult, early Black Sabbath(hence my heavily iomized DustIIDust stuff), Concrete Blonde and Slayer. All very stylized artists.

again, thanks much on the tips and info, I'll work on fixing those things and maybe improve a little.

NobleSavage said:
I've listened to a few mercyful fate tracks ages and ages ago... so other than Black Funeral and a few other tracks like that, I'm not really knowledgeable about them.

Big influences on me songwriting wise would be Blue Oyster Cult, early Black Sabbath(hence my heavily iomized DustIIDust stuff), Concrete Blonde and Slayer. All very stylized artists.

Black Funeral is a great tune!!! If you only know a few 'Mercyful Fate' tunes, it's cool that's one of them............even if it is almost too sick because of the lyrics:D.... I probably should have said that with the harpsichord part, it gave it a bit of a 'King Diamond' feel...at least the music....good tune as I'm listening once again as I type this...

I hear ya about the Sabbath influence too..:eek: :D

I didn't look at the other posts, so here goes:

Have you been listening to Nightwish? At least that's the influence I'm hearing here. Especially the dulcimer, or whatever the instrument is here reminds me of them. Also some Iron Maiden influences can be heard.

The vocals sound weirdly mixed, maybe too much low-mid-frequencies. The drums clip on a couple of places. The guitars could use a bit more power, but I'm just a tone freak, so I think most people would settle for this. The snare sounds a bit too 80's, unless that's what you were going for. The drums are obviously a machine, or a soundfont. At least that's what I'm hearing.

When the talking part comes in, it sounds like the left and the right guitar can't decide what to play, and it sounds a bit confusing. Anyway, at the first listen, the music is pretty good.

let's see now. Nope, I've only listened to about half a nightwish song and the operatic voice over the almost death metal music didn't do it for me. It sounded forced to my ears. The instrument is a harpsichord... a very spinal-tapish met'l sound. Maiden influence? That could definitely be.

The vocals are barely mixed at all, as I'm not a fan, but maybe I can cut some of the low freqs and see how that changes them. Not sure where you heard the drum clipping, so I can't fix that. The guitars are not shooting for the over modified transistor amp sound that is popular, I was shooting for a much warmer, less distortion-y tone, so that's probably where you hear the less power. The drums are indeed a soundfont, and if you could give me a link to a better one or an example of a better tone to shoot for, I'd be glad to try it.

The vocals pan from right to left during the speaking section... it's a mood thing... any kind of hard panning trick like that is a gamble. But, I like that section because I was really happy with how the music came across as a really skewed newsbreak kind of sound.

Anything 80s sounding in the track is purely purposeful... actually the tone is pre-1983 or so... pre-hair metal, mostly NWOBHM.

Thanks for the listen and the ideas and we'll see what we can do with them.

Back