SVT Bass Rig Recording

PhiloBeddoe

(I apologize if this thread shows up more than once but I waited one hour and it didn't show up, so I resubmitted.])

I need to record an SVT Bass rig with one cabinet with eight 10" speakers and another cabinet with two 15" speakers. The genre is hard rock and the player uses a Rickenbacker 4001 (4003 maybe, I dunno) and pretty much maxes out the gain on the SVT so the sound is overdriven.

I have plenty of tracks and was considering using any or all of the following mics, in addition to the SVT direct out: AKG D112, SM57, Yamaha Subkick. I also have other dynamics and few LDC and SDCs, but I guess I assumed they wouldn't be too useful.

In the past I have close mic'd (~2") the 8x10" cabinet with a SM57 and the 2x15" cabinet with the D112, but now I'm wondering whether that's the best approach. Would a better strategy be to put the SM57 and D112 right next to each other and a few feet out to avoid phasing issues and radically different source sounds?

Any other good ideas?

Many Thanks

A little trick I learned from Ulrich Wylde (Deftones, Rage Against the Machine etc...)

AKG 451 (or insert your own SD condensor here) at about 3 or 4 feet out.

PhiloBeddoe said:
(I apologize if this thread shows up more than once but I waited one hour and it didn't show up, so I resubmitted.])

I need to record an SVT Bass rig with one cabinet with eight 10" speakers and another cabinet with two 15" speakers. The genre is hard rock and the player uses a Rickenbacker 4001 (4003 maybe, I dunno) and pretty much maxes out the gain on the SVT so the sound is overdriven.

I have plenty of tracks and was considering using any or all of the following mics, in addition to the SVT direct out: AKG D112, SM57, Yamaha Subkick. I also have other dynamics and few LDC and SDCs, but I guess I assumed they wouldn't be too useful.

In the past I have close mic'd (~2") the 8x10" cabinet with a SM57 and the 2x15" cabinet with the D112, but now I'm wondering whether that's the best approach. Would a better strategy be to put the SM57 and D112 right next to each other and a few feet out to avoid phasing issues and radically different source sounds?

Any other good ideas?

Many Thanks

If you've got that many open tracks and mic's, mic up the strings on the bass. Blend it with whatever else you come up with.

Back