Surround Sound Mixing

Sabith

well.... I really want to do some surround sound mixing..... but WTF DO I NEED???
heh.... do I need a special soundcard, I'm guessing I will need a special program of some sort... if so what do I need???

Making a couple techno songs in complete surround sound would be really cool.

I do have Dolby 5.1 and prologic systems so I can listen to them no prob... just wanna know if I can make them

Thx for the help,

Sabith

Check these guys out ...
www.minnetonkaaudio.com

They are one of the first software developers I've seen to have really cost-effective software for 5.1 and DTS authoring and encoding.
You basically need to be able to mixdown to 6 separate channels, and while that may be possible with a standard mixer or mixing software (using subgroups) ... it may be a lot easier to have software or a mixer with that functionality in mind. For example, the pan control in MX51 by this developer resembles more of a joystick than a normal panpot. With a 'normal' mixer, you'd need to visualize that for yourself by determining how much signal to put in each subgroup.
Then you need to encode those 6 channels with either a stand-alone unit or software (which is probably cheaper). Anyway, check out Minnetonka Audio ... they at least have some good info and links at their site. If you can do a mix of 6 wav files and send them to these guys, they'll make a DTS encoded CD for free so you can demo it.

Good Luck!

Back