Sure SM58 + Tascam TA-1VP Issue

Ante74

Hi folks,

This seems a really odd problem for me but I'm sure someone experienced on here can help out.

I have Sure SM58 Mic and a Tascam TA-1VP vocal processor, the mic only intermittently works when plugged into it. Sometimes when the Tascam is powered on and the mic works straight away, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes after starting to work the mic then decides not to. I thought the problem might be with the XLR mic input on the TA-1VP, but after sending the unit back to Tascam under warranty they said there was no fault.

I've tried new XLR (Roland Gold) cables, the same intermittency.
I've tried plugging in my Line-6 XD-V75 wireless mic (the output of the receiver unit), and this works consistently

Yesterday when the Sure SM58 didn't work when oplugged into the TA-1VP yet the Line-6 mic did, I tried plugging the Sure SM58 direct into my mixing desk (A&H QU32), bypassing the TA-1VP, and it worked??? I had to boos the signal by about 45db with trim, the the output was good.

Is there a specific cable wiring arrangement that could be affecting the mic's operation, an why might it appear to be intermittent?

TIA

No, to be honest. SM58s do go faulty, but when they do, they do one of two things. Go very muffled or stop working - I've never found an intermittent one. You need to borrow another mic to swap to to confirm it.

Back