Suprise Microphone setup!

hemeltz

Hello!
I've recently been baffled by a discovery I made. I've been doing a huge amount of research on microphone setups to discover which one would work best for me, and this time I've really suprised and confused myself by buying a new mic (I won't give details yet so I can get your unbiased opinion). I recorded a short sample of "Free Fallin'" just to showcase the sound from the mic.

My setup as it stands now is:
Audiogram3 USB interface
Fake iHome as a monitor
*Microphone*

This sample was recorded using only overdubs on this setup, without any computer tweaking except for volume levels. Please tell me what you think of the quality (I know the musicianship is very sub-par but that wasn't what I was going for. Thanks!

-Harry

P.S. DON'T READ UNTIL AFTER LISTENING!
This is the microphone I was using: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2257359

It cost me $25 which includes the mic, built in cable, and clip.

I apologize for double-posting, but I just thought of another question. It doesn't directly apply to microphones but I figured I wouldn't start another thread becasue that would be obnoxious.
I realized that the volume is VERY low on that recording. It begs the question: When I'm recording, my audiogram has output volume. My speakers also have volume control. So does my computer. And the software. How do I balance all of these to make sure that my recordings are an acceptable volume level for a variety of mediums? Thank you all!
Harry

Gain staging is an important part of recording, and it might be difficult with that interface. Does your manual say what levels you are hitting when the red peak light comes on? Generally, you want the levels in cubase to stay pretty much in the green when you are recording. An occasional yellow peak is ok, but never do you want red. Without metering on your converters, it's going to be hard for you to know what level is really going in, so you'll have to go by the digital meters in cubase or whatever other DAW software you're using.

Back