Suppressing the hum from my guitar (boss ns-2)

Colwarter

I play a Fender Toronado with a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100. I have also a Gibson SG special that works perfectly with my JCM. Since I bought my Toronado, there's a lot of hum when I play, I have to be at 7-8 feet from the amp to play without earing an irritating feedback. I'm looking for a boss ns-2, but I heard that this unit only reduces the hum from other pedals. I don't have other pedals, I just want to remove the hum from my guitar. Do you think the boss ns-2 could work? Thanks a lot

I'm not familiar with the NS-2. I'm assuming it stands for noise suppressor. If it works like a gate, then yeah it will work for you. It will cut the hiss and hum when you're not playing your guitar. Does your Marshall have a ground lift in the back of it? If so, flip it. Does the Tornado have single coil pick ups? That could be causing the buzz, especially if you're playing near a computer monitor. A noise gate will definately help!

I have a TSL100 and a NS-2...defnitely makes a diffrence...jsut dont set the threshold too high (unless you use full preamp gain)

my shittest guitar a PRS tremonti SE when it had the stock pickups were awful and would squeal at the hint of volume (when not playing) and the NS-2 solved all the problems.

i never play live without my NS-2

also check out the MXR smart gate

I used to use a rackmounted Rocktron HUSH unit. It's supposed to be desinged for guitar, and for the cost (bought used and Music store) it seemed to do a pretty good job. I was playing an ESP viper with EMG Hz humbuckers through about 6 effect pedals and into either a Marshall JCM800 halfy or Berri Half stack.

I have a boss ns-2 and can recommend it. It will certainly cut the hiss and feedback that you are experiencing when playing. You will have to experiment with it to find the right settings though, especially if you are active with the volume knob of the guitar. :)

The problem is that I don't have any other effect pedals. I want to cut the hum and feedback from my guitar, not from other pedals. I read that the ns-2 it use to cut only the hum and feedback from effect pedals. Is it true? Can I use the ns-2 with just my guitar and my amp?

I have an NS-2, and it will cut the hum from your guitar too. If it is mainly one guitar that is giving you problems, then you might take it to a tech and have them check the interal grounding - especially if the hum gets louder or quiter when your fingers touch the strings. Also, turn down your guitar as soon as you are not playing. If you watch any live video of guys that play high gain rigs, they are always on top of the volume knob.

I wouldn't neccessarily assume you need some kind of gate or noise reduction.

It sounds like something in your Toronado isn't grounded. I would pop that baby open and check the wiring.

Also, you might consider the pickups. I don't know anything about those Atomic pickups, but I'm willing to bet that they aren't exactly top of the line humbuckers. You could probably replace the pickups for about the same price as buying some noise supression pedal.

Think about it, would you rather treat the problem or treat the symptom? If your SG works great but your Toronado doesn't... something is up with the Toronado.

amra said:
If it is mainly one guitar that is giving you problems, then you
might take it to a tech and have them check the interal grounding
Doh! Amra beat me to it!

Listen to amra! :D

jaykeMURD said:
I used to use a rackmounted Rocktron HUSH unit. It's supposed to be desinged for guitar, and for the cost (bought used and Music store) it seemed to do a pretty good job. I was playing an ESP viper with EMG Hz humbuckers through about 6 effect pedals and into either a Marshall JCM800 halfy or Berri Half stack.

A Hush IIC has always done the trick for me- it even beat the static feedback from hairspray :)

Back