superlux mics

I picked up a Superlux handheld dynamic cheapie ($30 I believe) on a whim, and I wasn't impressed ...very low output and a muffled high-end. The only good thing I can say about it is that the construction seemed pretty tough - nice & heavy.

I know they make a higher-end condenser that many folks swear by, but I haven't used it.

It's hit or miss with Superlux Mics. The FK-2 is an unbelievable kick mic, even without the low price. Some of the LDCs are great too. The handheld ones can be terrible. I bought one that was a Beta 57 copy and it was pretty bad.

Superlux CM-H8C LDC omni cardiod figure 8

Hi,

I have the Superlux CM-H8C LDC. It has omni, cardiod, and figure 8 patterns. I paid $88.88 on ebay but this is cheap for this mic. The CM-H8A is cardiod only and can be had in the $50 range.

This is a fantastic mic that makes good recordings and has saved my butt more than once.

Maybe you should get it instead?

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

AudioHipster, just received a few of these Superlux PRA 628 and I am very impressed, it has great vocal presence, sounds great on guitar cab Trumpet, Snare, and toms, better then a 609 silver and a lot of other 150$ mic's it has the perfect roll off on the low end and still can get fat EQ's well, and smooth highs. it will get use. Doyen AudioHipster Recording services

I have a pair of the PRA-218A's, that I use for kick. They look quite a bit like my Audio Technica ATM 25's, that I used to use religiously. But since they discontinued them I am scared about using them live, so the Superlux do. And they sound fine. Almost as heavy as the ATM's, although that shouldn't be an indicator of quality. I just know they aren't flimsy. I still use the ATM 25's for recording, so I can't say what the Superlux record like, but for live they are adequate. And cheap enough that if they get beer spilled on them or stepped on I don't want to kill the guitar player.
Here's the specs on the PRA-628 and some video clips of the mic on an AC30; http://www.ineargear.com/proaudio/hardwiredmics.html
The Audio Hipster You Tube shootout certainly has much better playing, but there I like the SM57, especially with clean guitar. It was great. The PRA-628 seemed like it had a mid hump, which isn't always bad. You can EQ it and buy a handful for the same price as one EV, so why not?

Back