Superior Drummer/Expansions read before judgment

What do you know about the entire new york studios collection for 300 bucks? It includes all the volumes of it. How many grooves does that have? And how many styles? It has a ton of drummers, and a ton of kits, it has to be the most vast array of any expansion they have.

I wonder if it would be worth it to just pay 300 dollars for that and virtually have most everything I can think of.

Where are you seeing that?

Toontrack sells it for $499....Audio Deluxe for $399.....but here's the thing, NYS Vol 1 comes with Superior Drummer already....and, you can get NYS Vol 2 and Vol 3 for about $75 each on eBay (Audio Deluxe seller)...just make an offer to them.

Now, if it's grooves you really want....you can get the entire NYS Studio groove collection for $29 on Audio Deluxe.

I believe people can get caught up in this drum thing. You need to find one or two sets of drums and master using those. How many great bands and artists had one drummer who played one set of drums for several albums? I'm not pointing my finger in blame since I have drum software out the wazoo! LOL! Do I really need them? Hell no! Do what you want to, but honestly do you need them?

....but honestly do you need them?

Yeah....I feel the same way, that in most bands, the drummer doesn't change out his kit per song.....instead he usually plays the same kit on everything....though in a studio setting, it's not unusually to switch out the snare or hats or what have you, or simply tune them differently.

I like to do a variety of music styles....so in my case, I wanted a lot of drums to "pick from"....but in all the expansion packs I have, I might have one "basic" kit that I like, and then I tweak it and save it. So now I have maybe a half-dozen that I've tweaked to my taste and saved as my own presets that I can pull up and use as the starting point.

Yeah....I feel the same way, that in most bands, the drummer doesn't change out his kit per song.....instead he usually plays the same kit on everything....though in a studio setting, it's not unusually to switch out the snare or hats or what have you, or simply tune them differently.

I like to do a variety of music styles....so in my case, I wanted a lot of drums to "pick from"....but in all the expansion packs I have, I might have one "basic" kit that I like, and then I tweak it and save it. So now I have maybe a half-dozen that I've tweaked to my taste and saved as my own presets that I can pull up and use as the starting point.

Usually in the studio there are usually 6-8 guys. In mine there is only one, therefore, variation has to be added somewhere. :D

It's the first library of the extreme. Dirk is the drummer who plays the stuff.

The 3rd library of the extreme is nothing but fills and and they are all good IMO.

I found a good free website last night that was made to be installed into superior drummer. It came with a lot of grooves. I got the 5/8 and 7/8 pack because most superior drummer grooves are 4/4 and a lot of times I like to do the 5/8 stuff. I was able to just drop the midi files into superior drummer and they are in there. So I went and got like 4 more packs and dropped those in too. I believe the website is called loop shop.

They sell packs on there but the free packs have a lot of stuff going on too.

loop shop is the website. But they aren't the only website I've found. When you download it, it comes with superior drummer version, steven slate version, etc. Very easy, just drop it in the folder and it's in your groove section. Anyone here use steven slate drums or anything like that? How many grooves are on something like that compared to superior drummer? Or is superior drummer top of the line?

Google of 'Loop Shop' looks like a bunch of knitting resources...

I am curious why you don't just post a link?

I used to use EZD. Then Addictive. And now SSD4. Not sure how to answer your question tho. It just depends on how much you need to rely on the grooves to get you going and the quality of any programs samples that you desire to use. The amount of grooves is not going to help you if you can't make simple ones work.

Maybe I just misread...

Last edited:
I tried to find it but ended finding mostly drum loops kind of stuff in audio file format, as opposed to MIDI grooves......
...or like Jimmy, a bunch of the knitting sites. :D

Back