Superhero (remix)

maximusbs

Brad Smith Music
So, I took all the dangerous knowledge I've accrued over a year and did my best to completely screw over this song. I re-tracked the vocals and dialed back some of the 25 compressors I had going on the first one. Please forgive the Disney Channel cheese factor; I did write it for kids originally. :o:) Let me know if there is anything that bugs before I put this baby to bed. ;)

Superhero_052911 by bjsmusic on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I really liked the guitar sounds. They were really good. I liked the drums too.

I'd take the reverb/delay off the vocal or replace it with a small or medium room. I didn't care for the way it sounded.

They keys sounded good too.

There were some sections of the chorus where I couldn't hear the bass.

For the last 3/4 of the song, the bass is ahead of the kick, while trying to follow it. I'd slide the bass track back to match the kick. Sounds good, Brad! Have you ever thought of adding some slight strings or orchestration to this piece?

Sounds pretty good, Brad....and your singing's really improved!
Mix sounds pretty good to me, I would just try to sink the voice a bit more into the mix. Nice tune, bud!

I really liked the guitar sounds. They were really good. I liked the drums too.

I'd take the reverb/delay off the vocal or replace it with a small or medium room. I didn't care for the way it sounded.

They keys sounded good too.

There were some sections of the chorus where I couldn't hear the bass.

Thanks for the listen man. You got great ears, cuz my automation on the bass wasn't working...I'm gonna have to shoot something :mad: I'm on it. As far as the delay on the voice, well, I know it usually doesn't fly, especially with you ;), but what I wanted to do is just get the delay on "hero" and a few other words only and have the rest be undetectable...:o obviously, I failed. I'll think about another approach. :D

For the last 3/4 of the song, the bass is ahead of the kick, while trying to follow it. I'd slide the bass track back to match the kick. Sounds good, Brad! Have you ever thought of adding some slight strings or orchestration to this piece?

Ok, man, wuts up with you and my bass tracks lately ;):D? I know I aint no Geezer Butler, so I actually believed you and went and solo'd the bass n drums....and I couldn't find what you were talking about :confused:. I mean, there's the usual handful of notes that are 'iffy', but I'd say that overall I was pretty close to that kick drum for most of the ride. If I'm high (which is quite possible), then I might just suck so bad, that I can't even tell that I suck so bad :(. That'd suck....bad!

Strings huh?....hmmm...I'll think about that :D

Thank for the listen Jason.

Fun track :)
The flanger on the backup vox stood out a bit, not doing it for me. May be better just without it.
Maybe bump up the rhythm guitar a tad?
Vox are good, a couple of pitchy notes. eg. 4:08

what I wanted to do is just get the delay on "hero" and a few other words only and have the rest be undetectable.

You could put that delay plug on an aux bus, and via automation send the vocal to it only on those words you want to have the effect. Actually that might end up sounding pretty cool.

Lol. This sounds like it could be in the credits of an inspirational 80's movie. :D

I hear the timing problems. There definitely seems to be something off later in the song. I think everything sounds okay for the most part. I like the vocals, though they're a little too out front. I personally prefer delay to reverb on vocals, so good choice there, but just drop em back a hair. The drums are a little too dry, but they sound decent in the mix. Not bad overall.

Sounds pretty good, Brad....and your singing's really improved!
Mix sounds pretty good to me, I would just try to sink the voice a bit more into the mix. Nice tune, bud!
Thanks Joe! I've been working on it :) ...but don't think this gets you off the hook for my next hard rock/metal masterpiece :D
Consider vocals 'sunk' - I'm on it :cool:

Fun track :)
The flanger on the backup vox stood out a bit, not doing it for me. May be better just without it.
Maybe bump up the rhythm guitar a tad?
Vox are good, a couple of pitchy notes. eg. 4:08
Flanger on the backups? :confused: Hmm. Perhaps you mean the lead vocal on the pre-chorus? It has effect on it. But if you really mean the backups, then you might be hearing some phasing due to about 8 or 9 tracks, bounced to two tracks, which might be stacked/panned too close. Yup, you got me on the pitchy part - There about 9 of me in a crowd of tracks and I haven't decided if I wanna go wading through the crowd to find the guilty party and kick his ass! Thanks for the listen. :D:cool:

Sounds good Brad.

I find the vocals to be a little too up front and the delay could maybe be backed off just a little?

I like the flangy sound on the vocal bit before the chorus, but that effect could be lowered some and still sound cool while making that bit more intelligble I think.

I like your bass sound on this particularly towards the end where it takes center stage for a little bit there in that mellower part. Ryhthmically, it doesn't seem as tight in spots throughout the 2nd half as compared to the 1st.

Good song, I can feel the bass & bass drum thing - I do that ALL THE TIME.
Pull the vox back a little & you're almsot on the Disney Channel. Hey, maybe you could score the remake of the Breakfast Club!

Sounds good Brad.

I find the vocals to be a little too up front and the delay could maybe be backed off just a little?

I like the flangy sound on the vocal bit before the chorus, but that effect could be lowered some and still sound cool while making that bit more intelligble I think.

I like your bass sound on this particularly towards the end where it takes center stage for a little bit there in that mellower part. Ryhthmically, it doesn't seem as tight in spots throughout the 2nd half as compared to the 1st.

Thanks Pete. I put some more automation on those vox to control the ear poking dbs and backed the delay down a smidge. I wish I could hear the timing issue that everybody else seems to hear - it scares me :eek:
I appreciate your ears :D

Sounds like a well written song. Has some issues, but the main thing for me is the loudness of the vox. They sound decent, but need to come down. Also the flanger/phaser effect is perhaps a little distracting within the context of this tune.

rayC - Thanks for the listen. I think I've got the vocals tamed, although I don't think I'll re post it. Lol @ Breakfast Club - Do you remember my cover of Don't You Forget About Me? You picked up on the exact flavor of my 80's cheese! :D

THEMUSICJUNKY - Thanks man - Yea, I've gotta work on what sounds good on that pre-chorus - I wanted something different and mangled, but not so annoying. I'll mess with it. :D:cool:

Back