Super Twins?

I'd buy one, but only if it was made in Japan, with the sticker located behind the left speaker, between the years or 1987-89, manufactured on a Saturday, by a man named Chen.

Or not.:p

KaBudokan said:
I'd buy one, but only if it was made in Japan, with the sticker located behind the left speaker, between the years or 1987-89, manufactured on a Saturday, by a man named Chen.

Or not.:p

:rolleyes:

I'm a tech and one of the perks of the job is that after I repair an amp I "have" to play through it to test it. It's my opinion that these things aren't even close to a twin. But keep in mind that's just my opinion. I hate Lab Series amps too, but the guitar player from King's X plays through them and I love his tone. I'm sure he's running all kinds of "goo" to get that tone and the amps probably been modified, but that's my 2 cents. My point is that you can probably get some kind of useable tone out of almost any amp if you work at it.

Eh, i'll just get a regular twin. Anybody got one they wanna sell me for a hundred bucks?;) I'll trade ya for my Vox Pathfinder...

FWIW, the "Super Twin" was high up in the ratings in a "The Worst Fender Amp Ever Made?" thread on the FDP.

It was interesting to read about some truly awful Fender early solid-state amps I'd never heard of before.

Eh, i'll just get a regular twin.
For what sort of use do you want it?

I ask, because the current and recent Twin-Amps are really sort of overkill for almost anything short of large-venue gigging and don't lend themselves to lower-volume use, even with the low-power switch.

They're extremely heavy - too heavy for their cabinets - and very loud.

I'm also not really sold on the idea of a 100W combo tube amp. That size amp really needs to be in a separate head running to a real speaker cabinet.

I bought a brand-new 2001 Twin-Amp (last production run of the US "Evil Twin" before the current Mexican "New Twin" with tremolo) because I couldn't pass up the closeout price of $599.99, but I have yet to find any use for it. It's back in the studio wrapped up in mover's quilts, where the cat sleeps on it.

I need an amp loud enough to gig and rehearse without a p.a. From a club to an auditorium. I also want it to be so clean I can eat off of it. I already have an amp just for practice.

Couldn't I remove power tubes from the twin to get a lower wattage?

Couldn't I remove power tubes from the twin to get a lower wattage?
The right way is to use the low-power switch on the back, which supposedly reduces the output to 25WRMS. Removing tubes can supposedly reduce it further to 15W, but I've never tried it and don't much like the idea from an electronic standpoint.

You don't really get righteous Twin sound out of these reduced settings, and I don't really think you get much up out of the 100WRMS background noise floor with this switch, either.

It's just not a rehearsal amp. As gigging amps go, it's as serious as a heart attack, though.

The Twin

I have a fender amp called 'The Twin'. It's a mix of the tight clean sound of a twin reverb and has the overdrive distortion like a super reverb. It's about the best sounding guitar amp I've heard and definitely the best I ever used. Ever since I bought it I've been looking for another but they seem to be real rare. This one has two 12" jbl's, weighs in at about 120 lbs and cost me $750 used from a music store that used it as a rental for gigs at SPAC. I don't know if this is the amp your looking for but good luck finding one.

I have a fender amp called 'The Twin'.
You don't mean the infamous "Red Knob Twin," do you?:eek:

If so, yours is a minority opinion, to say the least, as this amp is almost universally reviled (somewhat unfairly), though a few people like them. There are some good ones and a whole LOT of bad ones. This is a different amp than the "Super Twin."

Here's a link about the "Red Knob Twin" that goes into a little background. Note that this is a fan site! Non-fans are even harsher in their appraisals. You might do a Google search of alt.guitar.amps for more information.

These amps go cheap when you find them, but tend to have problems too expensive to repair.

Beware!

bongolation said:
You don't mean the infamous "Red Knob Twin," do you?:eek:

If so, yours is a minority opinion, to say the least, as this amp is almost universally reviled (somewhat unfairly), though a few people like them. There are some good ones and a whole LOT of bad ones. This is a different amp than the "Super Twin."

Here's a link about the "Red Knob Twin" that goes into a little background. Note that this is a fan site! Non-fans are even harsher in their appraisals. You might do a Google search of alt.guitar.amps for more information.

These amps go cheap when you find them, but tend to have problems too expensive to repair.

Beware!

I swear I saw a "Super Twin" with red knobs online. Guess I was wrong.

Also, they were made in 75-76 and not in the eighties like I said earlier.

Last edited:
i recommend fender super reverbs...something about the punch and break-up of a 10" speaker cone..i have a love '72 thats just amazing

TheGuitarMan said:
I swear I saw a "Super Twin" with red knobs online. Guess I was wrong.
It may have had red knobs, because Fender amps of a certain vintage did, but it wasn't what is known as a "Red Knob Twin," which is "The Twin." So far, I haven't seen a Super Twin with red knobs, myself. There aren't many around as they weren't a successful design. Some acts still use reworked ones, but from what I understand, the originals were just too overstressed and had reliability problems. We're talking about a combo amp with a SIX 6L6GC power stage rated at 180W.

To quote Brian Fellow, "That's CRAZY!":D

Last edited:
Back