Sunn 2000s head re-cap.

Freudian Slip

I picked up a sunn 2000s stack a while back. It sounds awsome;) It's obvious the tubes have been replaced but, I was wondering if there is any obvious way to tell if it has been re-capped. I hear that the caps where the weak link on these heads.

If anyone is familiar with these heads I could use your help.

Thanks
F.S.

that's pretty cool head though way too much power for most... should be real clean sounding too as they modeled it after the dynaco hifi amps that were designed by david haffler... it uses 6550's in pentode config with an ultralinear output tranny... cool stuff... as to the caps... never heard the caps to be problematic specificly... and dating whats in there is gonna prove to be hard... i'ld start recapping with the power supply caps... the schemo looks like they use an arragement similar to fenders multi-stage type with isolation resistors between stages... that 6an8a tube used for the driver/phase inverter could be hard to replace... seems i remeber seeing something on a mod for a differten tube... i'll see if i can find it but no promises... good luck...

OMG..... had one of those many moons ago, all I remember was that it was LOUD LOUD LOUD!!! Tone wasnt shabby either.

that's pretty cool head though way too much power for most... should be real clean sounding too as they modeled it after the dynaco hifi amps that were designed by david haffler... it uses 6550's in pentode config with an ultralinear output tranny... cool stuff... as to the caps... never heard the caps to be problematic specificly... and dating whats in there is gonna prove to be hard... i'ld start recapping with the power supply caps... the schemo looks like they use an arragement similar to fenders multi-stage type with isolation resistors between stages... that 6an8a tube used for the driver/phase inverter could be hard to replace... seems i remeber seeing something on a mod for a differten tube... i'll see if i can find it but no promises... good luck...

Cool, thanks for the info! I can't remember where I heard that these where problematic. It was a long time ago, so who knows.

Ya, I don't get this thing much past 1;) It is very clean and has a nice full range. It's suprisingly articulate. You need a crane to move this head though:eek: I hadn't moved it in a while and forgot what a beast it is.

F.S.

OMG..... had one of those many moons ago, all I remember was that it was LOUD LOUD LOUD!!! Tone wasnt shabby either.

I have never had the guts to see how loud it will go:D I try to treat the old thing with some respect. No need to pop one of these old jbls;)

F.S.

Back