Summit Audio 2ba-221?

superelixir

Does anyone have experience with this preamp? It has a ton of useful features (variable input impedance, variable hpf, -20db pad, blend knob for tube) and is supposedly hand-built in the US, so I am wondering why the price is so low. From the reviews I've read, some people say it's way too noisy, but some people love it, and say that changing the stock tube can lower the noise floor.

So, how does this little preamp stack up to others in its price range? I recently acquired a Focusrite ISA One--would the Summit Audio be significantly better/different? How does it compare to the Daking, True P-solo, UA Solo 610, etc?

Thanks for the info. Does the 2BA-221 sound colored even when the tube setting is at 0? Also, do use the stock tube or did you replace it with something else?

Something I forgot to mention is that I'm looking for a preamp with high input impedance for my ribbon and dynamic mics. I came across the Summit because the variable impedance goes up to 10k. Other options I was looking at are the True P-SOLO Ribbon, and the AEA TRP (a little bit out of my budget) but the 2BA-221 stood out because it has so many useful features.

Back