Sum Greater Than the Parts?

BenignVanilla

I have a conflict...I am working on completing a rough mix of a track before I send it to the guy that is doing the final mix. I've noticed a few things that stand out to me, so I have begun solo'ing various tracks, and I've noticed the vocals tracks are a wreck. Some clipping from the pre-amps, some auto-tuning that was done makes the vocals sound like a chipmunk, etc. Much of this is not noticeable at all when the full mix is in play...one argument I have heard is, if the final mix sounds good, who cares about the parts. I am of the mindset that the final mix would be better if the individual parts were of better quality.

What are your thoughts on this?

If the sum of the Sh!tty parts add up to a (possibly) passable mix, how much better would it be if the individual parts were actually good?
I guess the real question is are you happy with (possibly) passable as a finished result or would you rather have good?

one argument I have heard is, if the final mix sounds good, who cares about the parts.

This is definitely true, though with one caveat - if the iffy parts just don't call attention to themselves in the mix, then you could probably have a better mix if you re-recorded them. If, however, the iffy parts sound awesome in the mix - those clipped vocals actually sound really effective, the auto-tuned chipmuck voices sound awesome when they come in, etc, then who cares what they sound like solod as long as they really work in that mix?

Back