Suitable ear plugs for live singers

Etymotic Research. Their ER-20's are pretty awesome, and run about $20. Extremely flat, perfectly good for tracking or live music. You can also get an audiologist to fit you for a unique pair, and order the filters. this is supposed to be the ultimate earplug. I'm pretty happy with the ER 20's, and don't feel a need to shell out the big bucks fot a fitted pair.

I do, however, want these babies. Under 30db hearing protectors, it will be like a portable control room, for setting up mics and live recording.

ermghoti said:
Etymotic Research. Their ER-20's are pretty awesome, and run about $20. Extremely flat, perfectly good for tracking or live music. You can also get an audiologist to fit you for a unique pair, and order the filters. this is supposed to be the ultimate earplug. I'm pretty happy with the ER 20's, and don't feel a need to shell out the big bucks fot a fitted pair.

I do, however, want these babies. Under 30db hearing protectors, it will be like a portable control room, for setting up mics and live recording.

Ah yes good thinking.

ermghoti said:

Thanks for the info. In going to some vintage drag races next week and it looks like these will do nicely, and give me a chance to return to the music business with hearing in tact. I used to be in the sport many years ago and it's the first time back....hope I don't run off with the circus.

Hey, those ER-20's are only $10 on ebay.

philboyd studge said:
Hey, those ER-20's are only $10 on ebay.

Nice! I'll grab some spares!

For auto racing, I would go for maximum SPL, not flat reduction, so I'd use the EAR foam jobbies, they are something like 28dB. I use 'em shooting, no problems for at least 100-200 rounds. More than that, I put the earmuff style over the foamies, and I can shoot literally all day without any fatigue.

Back