Suitable and affordable mics for field recordings.

Nunavut

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a suitable and affordable mic for making field recordings (environmental sounds, both natural and urban) with. I was going to use my Minidisc player to record onto which has a 3.5mm mic input.
Also, does it need to have a fluffy thing on it so the wind doesnt affect it?

Thanks!

Michael.

Nunavut said:
Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a suitable and affordable mic for making field recordings (environmental sounds, both natural and urban) with. I was going to use my Minidisc player to record onto which has a 3.5mm mic input.
Also, does it need to have a fluffy thing on it so the wind doesnt affect it?

Thanks!

Michael.
For a task like this and with the type recorder your using the first thing that comes to mind is one of those stereo mics for about $200... AT and Sony make some.

Careful, some of the minidisc recorders have power wired to the mic connector in different configurations to make use of their own condenser mics. You should reverse-engineer it first before hooking up anything to make sure you don't damage your equipment.

i have the sony stereo mic, it was about $80 but i don't really like it

i'm thinking of trying that other one that has a battery and is x/y and is condensor.

need to look it up again...

(old thread !??? )

junplugged said:
i have the sony stereo mic, it was about $80 but i don't really like it

i'm thinking of trying that other one that has a battery and is x/y and is condensor.

need to look it up again...

(old thread !??? )

the SP-PASM-2 from www.soundprofessionals.com is great for that application.

Back