suggestions on recording amps?

metalboy458

ok so right now i have some cool rack gear for recording guitars, but i want to get some heads so i can actually get that mic'd up sound. i know what i want but cant completely decide so ide figured ide ask some people.

now i know the thing most people would say is play them and try them out, but i love all the amps im fixing to list so any suggestions on which ones would be better for recording let me know.

mesa/boogie dual rectifier, triple rectifier, mark iv, peavey 5150ii/6505+, evh 5150iii 50 watt, marshall jvm 410, or laney vhr100. im pretty much already decided on getting one of the mesa boogies but cant decide which one and the others.

so any suggestions would be great. im eventually going to get 4 of these amps but im looking to buy 2 very soon. thanks for any suggestions/comments/etc;.

Lol. Got a lot of money to burn huh? Cool problem to have.

I'm a Marshall fanboi, so I'm gonna say the JVM410 has to be one of them. It's the most versatile of the amps you've listed. It's literally 12 amps in one. That will cover all of your Marshall sounds from early crunch, through the 80's, to modern metal - with a Marshall voicing.

A dual/triple rec is a great amp too and will cover the American side of the high gain tone spectrum.

Maybe throw an AC15/30 or a Fender in there too for some nice cleans.....you know...since you got all this money to burn. :)

Make sure you play a DR and a Mark IV because they sound nothing alike.

I personally like the 5150III 50 watt clips more than the full bore head clips I have heard.

I like my 5150 sig. I like the voodoo deluxe modded 6505 I recorded more though (considering it for my 5150).

Can't comment on the laney or the marshall, have not heard enough clips or have any experience with either.

I own a DR and 5150.

The 5150 III is indeed a cool amp.

Couple questions.... Is that the electrovoice, and what do you think of it paired the single 12 cabinet? I want to be able to record decent distorted tracks for punkyish type stuff - but without the shitty 'gainy' sound that is the only thing I seem to be able to capture. Chords, no solos, similar to some of the bands you've said you like, or your stuff. I know I gotta go play stuff, but any basic thoughts if I can get close with a single 12?

I'm going off his user name so:

If you want to hear a good example of the mark IV recorded for metal: Any Lamb of God CD (personally it's not my favorite).

If you want to hear how a 5150/vintage 30s sounds: Devildriver or In Flames

If you want to hear how a DR sounds: Some killswitch (although IIRC this is usually a blend of both a 5150 and DR, and I'm thinking of EOH). Hoobastank and Thrice are examples of how they can sound as well.

5150III: I have no idea. I know the new Periphery incorporated them, but I think they were running AxeFXII through the power amp section of those heads so it's not really a good example.

Couple questions.... Is that the electrovoice, and what do you think of it paired the single 12 cabinet? I want to be able to record decent distorted tracks for punkyish type stuff - but without the shitty 'gainy' sound that is the only thing I seem to be able to capture. Chords, no solos, similar to some of the bands you've said you like, or your stuff. I know I gotta go play stuff, but any basic thoughts if I can get close with a single 12?

The 5150 is the EVH amp. I think it's made by Peavey? I don't know, it might be it's own brand. I played one recently and it's a very nice amp...although it would be extreme overkill for your needs by what you described. If you're set on using a single 12, you're gonna have to go low watt. I personally like the Egnater Tweaker heads, and since I'm a Marshall fanboi, they've recently come out with one watt versions of their most classic models. They're very expensive though. There's also the DSL 15, which is a 15 watt DSL head. Pretty cool and will easily achieve the sounds you described. And of course there's a ton of other brands you can choose from. Blackstar, Orange, Mesa, DV, Hughes and Kettner, they all make little lunchbox heads that will go with a single 12 cab. They all have their pros and cons. I tried and tried to find a little low watt option for my own sound, but ultimately I ended up with a 100w Marshall head. There's no substitute for raw power.

The 5150 and 6505 are the same amp made by Peavey. The 6505+ and 5150II are as well, I guess they had to change the name from 5150 due to trademark from EVH. Pretty sure they changed the stock tubes from version to version. lol

5150III is fender.

I agree with Greg, any of those original choices would be a bit overkill on a 1x12 cab (if you could even find a single speaker that would handle such a load).

The 5150 is the EVH amp. I think it's made by Peavey? I don't know, it might be it's own brand. I played one recently and it's a very nice amp...although it would be extreme overkill for your needs by what you described. If you're set on using a single 12, you're gonna have to go low watt. I personally like the Egnater Tweaker heads, and since I'm a Marshall fanboi, they've recently come out with one watt versions of their most classic models. They're very expensive though. There's also the DSL 15, which is a 15 watt DSL head. Pretty cool and will easily achieve the sounds you described. And of course there's a ton of other brands you can choose from. Blackstar, Orange, Mesa, DV, Hughes and Kettner, they all make little lunchbox heads that will go with a single 12 cab. They all have their pros and cons. I tried and tried to find a little low watt option for my own sound, but ultimately I ended up with a 100w Marshall head. There's no substitute for raw power.

Thanks Greg - I'm not set on a single 12, especially if I'm not going to get the sound I want. It seems to make sense to me space/simplicity wise, but I think I'm gonna stop hijacking and fire up my own thread :-)

Back