Suggestions on material:fix broke guitar

killmachine

so the band played at some stupid new pop club, Club Fuzion (get the picture) on rock night with a bunch of radio/mosh metal bands.

Point: they cut us after 2 songs, apparently you can't play grindcore at a latino dance club.
Result:through a fit got kicked out......

Threw my SG at the manager thus resulting in broken SG, along with a bunch of other various on stage items. Which is Ok I'll take one for the team especially in those circumstances.

My SG is cracked where the neck meets the body, basically the neck separated from the body on the top side where the neck starts to come into the body. It also cracked a bit in the depth part of the body just a small crack.

Any suggestions on repairs?????

A friends dad that fixed my strat, had used a combo of wood glue and wood apoxy.

killmachine said:
so the band played at some stupid new pop club, Club Fuzion (get the picture) on rock night with a bunch of radio/mosh metal bands.

Point: they cut us after 2 songs, apparently you can't play grindcore at a latino dance club.

Threw my SG at the manager thus resulting in broken SG, along with a bunch of other various on stage items. Which is Ok I'll take one for the team especially in those circumstances.

My SG is cracked where the neck meets the body, basically the neck separated from the body on the top side where the neck starts to come into the body. It also cracked a bit in the depth part of the body just a small crack.

A friends dad that fixed my strat, had used a combo of wood glue and wood apoxy.

Take it to a professional. This is NOT a repair which you can do unless you've got experience. And epoxy is NEVER appropriate in a repair. Without seeing it, I can't say what the proper repair is, but I can tell you that if it is done wrong your guitar will never play right; if it IS done right, it will be as good as new. Take to someone who knows what they are doing.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

many SG's separate/have major issues at the neck joint. Most are not even hurled at people! If the repair does not come out the way you want it too write it off to karma and if you didn't hit the jerk hard enough practice your aim.

I've had my Gibson Flying V repaired a couple times. When my Rott was a pup, he would chew on my strap and pull it off the stand! Broken at the neckjoint! I took it to my friend, who is a gunsmith. He used this shit called Acriglass. I don't know how it is spelled. Put it in a vise overnight. Worked pretty good. You might want to check your local gunsmith, if you don't have a luthier nearby.

That's a tough call without seeing it. From what you described you should take it to someone with knowledge and the right tools, this type of repair requires injecting glue into the fracture and proper clamping then some touch up work on the finish. Definately NOT a DIY project for the average person.
The only place I would ever use epoxy on a guitar would be as a filler (where a gouge or chipped place has occurred) but never as a bonding agent. Epoxy will hold it together but at the sacrifice of the resonance of the instrument, both tone and sustain will suffer.

killmachine said:

So, what have we learned from this experience? ;^)

Anybody who would toss and break a perfectly good SG (who's not a rich Rock star that can afford it) should probably fix his or her anger problem before the guitar.

Thanks for the tips, I can't remember exactly what that Dad used to fix the Strat. but it turned out great. However, the break was a bit different. I'll check into things a bit more....

Did I learn anything from that experience??????

yeah, throw harder......we didn't even manage to get the security all over us......and never play a latino dance club.......

Call Gibson, they'll tell you a certified Gibson lutheir that's near by. That's how I found the talented and amazing Doug from the Guitar E.R. in scenic Lom,bard near Chicago. You should go to a place where the guy looks at it and doesn't even look twice because he's fixed it so many times. I had my headstock repaired and it actually improved the way it plays!
To summise: plunk down the money to have it fixed, a bolt on strat and a set neck Gibson are two different animals.

killmachine said:
Did I learn anything from that experience??????

yeah, throw harder......we didn't even manage to get the security all over us......and never play a latino dance club.......

How about trying to place your band where your music will be appreciated, or respecting the fact that if your music doesn't fit the venue, the club owner will ask you to stop rather than run off his clientele (and thereby his livelihood), or that it's a stupid stunt to throw your instrument at someone and break it and then have to pay to get it fixed, or that if you were to actually injure someone you would (hopefully) end up in jail? What does all that attitude have to do with playing music?

Oh. You did say "never play a Latino dance club", so I guess it wasn't a total waste... ;^)

tis the items known the situation would have been such, you'd have had to have been there to know the circumstances....... so before you preach some holy than now BS remember promoters have a lot to do with situations.....and if you were there you'd have had a fit as well dear friend.

and friends dad said he could fix it no prob,,,, what he's gonna use I don't know, I'm gonna sit in on the fix and I'll post resultssssssssssssssss.

He's done it many a times, so I trust him and he's only gonna charge me $20 cause that's his style

killmachine said:
tis the items known the situation would have been such, you'd have had to have been there to know the circumstances....... so before you preach some holy than now BS remember promoters have a lot to do with situations.....and if you were there you'd have had a fit as well dear friend.

and friends dad said he could fix it no prob,,,, what he's gonna use I don't know, I'm gonna sit in on the fix and I'll post resultssssssssssssssss.

He's done it many a times, so I trust him and he's only gonna charge me $20 cause that's his style

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

An SG is a valuable guitar, and by getting a professional repair you will maintain the highest possible percentage of the value. If he has EVER used epoxy on a guitar, you don't want to let him NEAR your guitar. EVER. He's a hack, end of story.

Get it done right. In the long run, you will be glad, because you really do get what you pay for.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back