Suggestions for treating room?

SirPsychoSexy

Hi there,

I want to treat a room so it will be adequate for drums... How would I do this? I don't know if a drum room is supposed to be live or dead... The room is roughly 15' x 13'. Ceiling height is 7'2".

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Chris

Chris,

> I don't know if a drum room is supposed to be live or dead <

Excellent question, and the short answer is a little of each. You don't want obvious flutter echoes, but you don't want the sound totally dead either.

See the Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

It's a long read, but there's a lot of information I'm sure you'll find useful.

--Ethan

SirPsychoSexy said:
Hi there,

I want to treat a room so it will be adequate for drums... How would I do this? I don't know if a drum room is supposed to be live or dead... The room is roughly 15' x 13'. Ceiling height is 7'2".

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Chris

I don't know it this helps at all but it has taken me months to get the balance right. It's getting better all the time though. You really can't just throw a bunch of fiberglass (or worse foam) up on the walls and ceiling and expect to get a great sounding drum room. I spent alot of time tweaking. And don't forget that the location of the kit in the room makes a difference too! I am to the point now that I can get a decent drum track in my small room (220 sq ft). There is enough room sound left that it sounds like you are standing in the room in front of the kit. I know that sounds silly, but it's not as easy as you may think.

Good luck.

Back