Suggestions for old HP Pavilion

raab

Have old 2001 HP Pavilion with 128mb RAM and 800mhz processer...
Can't afford any upgrades or software at the moment. Can anyone suggest any cheap or free recording software that would work on this old machine?

with 128 mb of ram? good luck. the really cheap titles will be all you can use but you'll be limited. I tried running reaper on a dell gx150 (P3 996 MHZ with 512 MB RAM) and i could barely lay down two tracks let alone add effects and what not without hanging everything up.

With a good OS you should be able to use Rosegarden... You won't be able to record a lot of tracks at once, and I'd stay away any plug-in that is not immediately rendered...

For an OS I'd go for any lite version of XP or a lite Debian Linux build...

Nasbi makes a good version of XP lite, but there's another build that's even better called XP-super-lite-V2 I don't know who hacked that one though...

I have a really old pc, its like 320ram..and old 20gig HD with CD-R, and 800Mhz I think. added Kristal Audio Engine recording software free.
my exp. is the pc couldn't handle plug-ins in solo tracks. the old pos handles a few plug-ins on the master buss.

Kristal Audio Engine recording software is apparently very low burden on this pos pc.

i think this old link works for a soundclick simple song sample showing some software ability of the Kristal recording on a rotty old pos pc.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=538600&songID=3900327

Can't complain much about Free Software really?:confused:

You should try Ubuntu Linux...and then search for Ubuntu Studio. It has TONS of free Audio and Midi software. Good luck!

I actually had a p3 450 mhz 256 mb ram once that ran cool edit and I could get about 12 tracks with effects before I started having problems...

Back