Suggestions for new firepod compatible-pc ?

Soulgolem

Hi everyone, could not make the firepod work on my pc no matter what I tried (don't want to discuss it), so I'm going to purchase some new parts, processor and motherboard and install the 2gig ram from my non-firepod compatible PC.

I would like to get suggestions on what to get, I want something that will work 100% with my firepod, something tested and that will give me a great performance, let me know your suggestions. I'm thinking in the line of Intel's dual core processor + great super compatible motherboard !

Francis.

Soulgolem said:
Hi everyone, could not make the firepod work on my pc no matter what I tried (don't want to discuss it), so I'm going to purchase some new parts, processor and motherboard and install the 2gig ram from my non-firepod compatible PC.

I would like to get suggestions on what to get, I want something that will work 100% with my firepod, something tested and that will give me a great performance, let me know your suggestions. I'm thinking in the line of Intel's dual core processor + great super compatible motherboard !

Given the rate of FireWire PHY failures on the FIREPOD, statistically speaking, the problem is probably not the PC. :D

If the FIREPOD isn't blown, though, you're probably running into the Windows XP SP2 FireWire bug. There's a hotfix for it.

Discuss it. I don't want to see you spend a lot of money on a computer that probably will just have the same problem.

Already posted another thread about my problems, got no reply, so I have no choice, I tried everything, tried onboard firewire, pci firewire.

The motherboard has an nforce chipset, and it is said to be non-compatible on presonus' website, I think there are no way out but to change the motherboard.

Edit : I did install the hotfix.

Francis.

Last edited:
Soulgolem said:
Already posted another thread about my problems, got no reply, so I have no choice, I tried everything, tried onboard firewire, pci firewire.

The motherboard has an nforce chipset, and it is said to be non-compatible on presonus' website, I think there are no way out but to change the motherboard.

Edit : I did install the hotfix.

Francis.

Ah. I found the other thread. It doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me, but I could be wrong. It sounds more like what would happen if the sample rate were getting misreported (a software bug). Did Presonus ever get back to you?

This comment by you (presumably) on the Presonus board makes me wonder if there's a version mismatch between your drivers and the device firmware....

Soulgolem said:
Hi, did some more tests today, when I set the clock to S/PDIF then back to normal, the firepod will work for around 1m30 !!! this is a very unusual problem.

:) Email their technical support, not the support forums.

I updated everything to the latest version, I used the same software with the firepod on another computer, worked perfectly, tried another software (sonar 4) briefly, and it did the exact same thing.

I've had this problem for 2 months now, I had time to test every possible combination of settings, I removed and put cards back in different slots inside my pc just in case something was conflicting, everything I tried was pointless, I spent way too much time on this issue, the pc is not super performant, and I only want to change motherboard and processor so it's only a positive investment which will avoid me any further stress.

Now I was thinking an Intel motherboard with Intel chipset, that sounds like a working combination !

Francis.

dgatwood said:
Ah. I found the other thread. It doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me, but I could be wrong. It sounds more like what would happen if the sample rate were getting misreported (a software bug). Did Presonus ever get back to you?

This comment by you (presumably) on the Presonus board makes me wonder if there's a version mismatch between your drivers and the device firmware....

:) Email their technical support, not the support forums.

Back