Suggestions for my studio room

Roozter

So I moved in to a new house, saved the bigger bedroom for my studio, and I was hoping to get some suggestions on placement and then soundproofing. Sadly this room must act as my control room AND live room.

The room is around 20ftx20ft with about 12-15ft high ceilings. The floors are original, authentic hardwood, and the walls are plaster in some places but drywall in others.

This house acoustically solid, the only place I notice sound leaking from is the windows, most of which are double paned. The room in question has three windows on the far wall that faces the main road, a walk in closet on the left wall, and the door to the room itself is opposite the windows and centered (as are the windows).

Money is no object, and I can afford Auralex, maybe not the high end diffusors, but the foam, yes.

So first, where to put the desk? and also, what kind of soundproofing am I looking at. I think the big issue is the windows, so if anyone can give me ideas on how to soundproof those that would be a great start.

Sound PROOFING? meaning no sound getting out, no sound getting in? Not going to happen unless you build an isolated room within that room.
Bass traps in all corners. Do some reading before buying anything, lots of links and suggestions in this forum.

I just want this room to be acceptable to record in, and mix in. If I can get the room to a point where I can just gate out what I absolutely need to, im fine. In fact, I didnt even plan on gating much of anything, I want the sound to fill up in the room and to achieve a certain amount of workable leakage.

If I need to bass trap every corner, I can do that, cornerfills in all corners, and I can trap the whole length of every wall, vertically and horizontally.

Id like to know what I should put on the walls themselves in terms of panels, and what I can do about those windows. As Ive said before, that room is dead quiet, except for the sound leaking in from the windows.

Back