Suggestions for my next mic?

Markd102

Hi Folks

My mic cab is slowly growing and I'm after suggestions as to what to get next that will compliment what I already have.

Here's my current list....
1 x Mann MT31 (LD Tube Condenser) (sounds surprisingly good to me for a Chinese job)
1 x MXL V67M
2 x Beyer Opus83 (SD Condenser)
1 x Sennhieser ME20 (SD Condenser omni)
1 x AKG D112
2 x SM58
6 x SM57
plus various pieces of cheap crap

I mainly record rock, ballads, blues, jazz and folk.

Should I look for a ribbon, or a maybe a medium diaphram mic like the Cad E200? Or something different again?

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

If I had your mic collection and I was looking to fill in some gaps, I would look at some of these mics:

A couple of small omnis.
An SmM7
A Sennheiser 421
Possibly a ATM25 or AT Pro 25
A ribbon mic

Harvey Gerst said:
Mark,

If I had your mic collection and I was looking to fill in some gaps, I would look at ...

Possibly a ATM25 or AT Pro 25

Is this a subtle way of saying you hate the D112? ;)

I just bought 2 of the Oktava MC 012's from Guitar Center...on a special buy one get one free....$149! A friend of mine had a pair for his drum overheads, and love 'em. I haven't tried them yet, but I've read alot of good things about them. Also nice is the availability of options for these. They came with a Cardiod pattern capsule and a -10db capsule. I know that there are at least 2 other patter capsules available for these from Oktava, and I think I saw a third party option on eBay the other day.

Tom Kemp

Acually, no, I love the D112, and it's also a great guitar abd bass amp mic, but the ATs have a little more high end bite and are pretty useful to have around for toms, kick, etc. They'll fill out a mic locker with some useful flavors without putting a huge dent in the guy's wallet.

Back